Complete France Forum

Running a laptop from the car battery.

cabman

Does anyone know the formula for how long a laptop would run from cigarette lighter plug-in without the car battery failing to start the engine from stationary?

The in-car adaptor for my laptop has an output of  +16V  4.5A   Output power 75W maximum.

[quote]Does anyone know the formula for how long a laptop would run from cigarette lighter plug-in without the car battery failing to start the engine from stationary? The in-car adaptor for my laptop has a...[/quote]

OK, a bit of Maths....

Your car battery should have a (new) fully charged capacity of (eg.) 100AH (amp-hours). Which is the capacity to complete discharge. However, you should never discharge a lead-acid battery (especially a modern one) below 50% = 50AH (say).

The output power of your power supply is 75W. It is probably a basic invertor with an efficiency of (say) 50%. Therefore it's input power can be up to 150W. At a nominal 12V, this is 12.5Amps.

Conveniently, 50AH (amps x hours) is 12.5A(mps) for 4 hours.

However, there are several variables which cannot be predicted in any formula; a) the actual current consumption of the power supply, as this will vary considerably with CPU, screen HDD drive etc usage. b) the actual capacity of your battery, which is a function of age, design capacity, charging circuit design, etc etc (and very difficult to measure) c) the actual point at which your car will fail to start, which will be a function of age, service efficiency, battery internal resistance, air temperature, glow plugs, carburettor, fuel injection or whatever.

Does that help?

Thank you Nick. That is a help. I know very little about electricity.

My 20year old daughter likes to come fishing, but quickly gets bored if the action is slow.

Seems a couple of hours of uni work or a DVD on the computer should do no harm.

Probably best to park facing downhill though!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived