Complete France Forum

Cour Commune

The  courtyard in front of our house is a "Cour Commune". We own the courtyard and there are four other house with access from the courtyard.

We are told that the concept of a "Cour Commune" is an ancient one and not many still exist.

Has anybody any experience of these and knowledge of the rights and responsibilities. Our courtyard is said to have the remains of ancient buildings buried underneath, probably over 1000 years old.

I was interested in your post because a friend of mine is in a very similar situation, except there is only one other property. As I remember, her notaire told her she can in no way block access for her neighbours or to fence it in in such a way that it is appropriated and therefore blocked. Her neighbours are only allowed to cross it. I would definitely check it out with your notaire, though, as individual cases will of course be different

We are told that the concept of a "Cour Commune" is an ancient one and not many still exist.

Has anybody any experience of these and knowledge of the rights and responsibilities.

I'm afraid that sounds like a bit of estate agents guff. France is littered with such arrangements.

The good news is that the paperwork will specify which properties can benefit from using the land. The bad news is that because it is an ancient concept, it often grants the right to pass  and repass, which was simple enough in olden days, but nowadays is often taken to include the right to park vehicles. Likewise it is rare to find any statement concerning any cost sharing for work involved, and it often comes back to the owner footing the bill. Not too bad if its just a bit of gravel,more costly, voice of experience, if it includes an ancient  monument.

You also need to bear in mind that whatever the letter of the acte says, trying to enforce it can rapidly lead to unpleasantness with the voisins.

Archived