Complete France Forum

New rules for registration

Mandrau

I have heard that the rules for immatriculation have changed, so that it is no longer necessary to re-register when you change departement, and new numbers will be non departement specific.Does anyone know about this,? it was denied by a local gendarme but they often have a strange view of the law if it means another PV.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F1474.xhtml?&n=Logement&l=N15&n=D%C3%A9m%C3%A9nagement&l=N354&n=Papiers%20du%20v%C3%A9hicule%20et%20d%C3%A9m%C3%A9nagement&l=N11208

Looks like you still have to change the address even on the new carte grise. And as before we only have a month after moving to do it.

I know that from next year the new number plates are coming in. And the plates on  cars with these plates won't be changed from then on.

I feel sure that registering cars when there has been a change of address or ownership will continue to have fairly strict rules attached though.

This sort of info is always on the service.public.fr website

There was quite a spread onthis lately in various papers basically saying what TU has said about the new numbering system coming in during 2006 and being carried out chronologically throughout the country probably taking 2/3 years to complete. The number will be issued to each vehicle owner which then stays with the vehicle for life with no need to change for any dept moves made. The dept number can be added by the owner in the small space at the end of the plate if they so wish. Lets hope it also helps to cut down on the number of illegally used british vehicles here that have no proper insurance or CT on them.

Archived