Complete France Forum

Let down by Land Rover UK

Washy

Re-registering our Range Rover, as regular readers will know, has been a real nightmare.  We have now done everything possible in France.  That was back in July......we have been waiting three months for a new VIN plate from LR in the UK.  Their excuse was August shutdown and a backlog of work.

The dreaded man at DRIRE in Carcassonne has become my best friend.....well nearly!!  We speak every week.

Nevermind we are so close now what's another few weeks???

[quote]Hello I really prefer to drive rhd cars in europe. I have done since 1985 and find that I am at no real disadvantage and find it really helps driving in the mountains on tracks or narrow roads.[/quote]

I've been following Washy's saga with interest, having been in a similar situation myself. I gave up long before I got to Washy's stage, so I sometimes wonder what keeps her going.... However, I suspect that one can get oneself into a situation where it is too late to give up (especially when you get tantalising glimpses of the light at the end of the tunnel, before the roof lands on your head).

As for preferring to drive RHD cars in France, it makes no sense to me whatsoever!

Quote:

<< As for preferring to drive RHD cars in France, it makes no sense to me whatsoever! >>

Nor to me, really, but at least a 4x4 at has the driving postion high so being on the appropriate side of the car is less relevant, particularly you're not doing a high mileage. 4x4s are cheaper in the UK so if you've got one in the UK and want one in France, the hassle of selling something in the UK to buy again (more expensively) in France isn't overly appealing. I've been following Washy's saga too and having registered our RHD Discovery in France with no problems at all, I cannot believe (said in a Victor Meldrew-ish tone) the trouble Washy has had. Sorry Washy!

Have I missed something? Two years ago I re-registered my Defender here - I went along to the local Landrover dealership, got them to acquire a Certificate of Conformite (agreed, a bit of a con at €180 for a photocopy), got some LHD drive headlights over the internet (don't get them from LR!!!), had them fitted and aligned, got a controle technique, went along to the local sous-prefecture in Bergerac armed with all the paperwork and a big smile (OK - it was a flirty one - there was the usual female bulldog with the awesome reputation on the desk - but incredibly the flirty stuff worked), and hey presto it was done. Likewise for my 3.5 tonne Ifor Williams trailer.

Landrover UK wasn't involved at all, nor did a VIN come into it. Was I lucky, or has the system changed??

Stewart

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry all I do not seem to be getting alerts to answers.  See new posting, we have succeeded......at long last......

Just to clarify a couple of things.....the car in question is left hand drive, we foolishly bought it specifically for our move to France, before we knew of the complications which would areise.  The car is LPG and a system which did not conform to the french standard, and it was made for the export market to America.  We only received a Certificate de Conformite Partielle, so loads of problems.  Including one made by Land Rover as the car did not have a VIN plate, even though it had been reimported into the UK, it had a US VIN plate which DRIRE did not like. And yes, it is a favourite car.  We were forced to involve LR UK to make a new VIN plate for us, and this meant all sorts of security checks in the UK and USA.....phew

Our Defender 90 RHD on the other hand was no problem, we received a letter of Conformity from Land Rover Paris by return post and it took precisely 10 minutes at the Prefecture to get a carte grise.

Anyway, I am a happy bunny now and have had a few glasses of blanquette, so I'll sleep tonight.  Thanks to everyone for their concern and advice with all my moans and groans.

Archived