Complete France Forum

Uk caravan - French car

Steph

Hi, hope someone can help?

I have an old UK caravan that is currently in Wales .. I am hoping to bring it over to France at Christmas .. I am not planning to use the caravan on the road here in France, it is destined to become a garden shed! Anyway my problem is that my car is French registered ... so does anyone know how I would be able to tow it in France as I am aware that caravans require their own carte gris .. is it possible to have some kind of transit plate? It will be on French roads for approximately 3 hours ...

Many thanks ..

If I were in your shoes I would start off by finding out from your french insurers where you stand in case of an accident either caused by yourself and your caravan on french roads(and on the UK ones too) or someone else hitting you etc. They may agree to cover you for say,24hours as long as you put the reg number of your french car on the back of the van and then remove it again once it is insitu. French caravans have to have their own carte gris etc but,there is the changeoever period of three months before you are supposed to do this I believe so maybe this will cover the transfer from one country to another. As I say, the insurance is the most important thing to get sorted. Another problem you may face is if you have a french driving licence which has a limit to towing weights and sizes if you have never stipulated you are a caravan owner etc so check that out too.

Thanks for that Val .. I'll contact my insurance and see what he says .. no problem with the license as we still have UK ones ..

By the way, question about driving license, if you know .. if we change over to French do we have to take an extra test to tow? My husband is a carpenter and currently uses a large trailer for his work so would we just say that we tow it and they would add it to the license or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks ..

Archived