Complete France Forum

Is it worth it?

Marym2

Hi
We have a G reg nissan micra, and we are wondering whether to bring it over and re register it at our house. The question is, is it worth it ? We have been quoted nearly £400 insurance just for 3rd party Fire & Theft in England  and what with the road tax, that will bring it passed what the car is worth. As it has been in the family and was my first car, it holds sentimential value, and it will probably fetch only £4/500 if that here and thats if we can get a buyer, and as we know the history and it has not lets us down we are not sure what is the best option. Would it cost a lot to do the relevant things to get the car legal in France? I have read a lot of other postings regarding this and hope someone can give a clearer answer then the threads that I have seen. Thanks in advance.

We brought a J reg Nissan Micra to France

The certificate of conformity cost 69 Euros. The control technique 35 Euros. The carte gris was about 80 Euros. Biggest expense was the headlights 180 Euros on German ebay, and we fitted them ourselves. Did look at French scrap yards and french ebay but no lights available, but you might hit lucky. Didnt ask at Nissan dealer but expect they are expensive.

Insurance fully comp is 360 Euros.

Like you it is a case of she has never let us down and running costs are cheap.

Hope this helps.

Jan

Lost in the Lot

I would bring it over and get it re-registered, a similar car purchased here would cost a lot more, you can see by the previous post, that it would not be to expensive to do and no road tax to pay, mot every two years, but I would not pay for fully comprehensive insurance, for that value car third party would be ok.

I would say that if you can get a French Certificate of Conformity from the manufacturer's agents then it will definitely be worth it, particularly if it is of value to you.

Is that simple?

Thanks for your replies so far, its bit more postive then the feedback from insurers here etc, as we do not live there would that be a problem also ?

[quote]I would say that if you can get a French Certificate of Conformity from the manufacturer's agents then it will definitely be worth it, particularly if it is of value to you. Is that simple? Thank...[/quote]

Ten years ago my insurers were pretty relaxed about insuring in France unless I used the car full time in UK. Broadly I would say if you already own the car, and view your time as free then anything less than 10 years old is worth registerring provided you intend to keep in for three years.

I do not think it is worth sourcing a banger in the UK export to France.

Archived