Complete France Forum

Trailer Advice

Beris

Hi all

Some advice please, I have a French registered car but wish to buy a trailer in England to take over, in France,

Do I need to register the trailer

Do I need insurance on the trailer

Are there any speed restrictions on motorways,or other traffic rules I need to know about.

Many thanks

Beris

Do you have a french driving licence? because there is usually a restriction onthere to towing that UK licences do not have. If you have a small trailer 750kg then you do not need to register the trailer and for insurance, just inform your french company you will be towing. Any large trailer I believe over one ton has to be CT'd and have its own Carte Grise and for that they require serial no/chassis no etc. I would get that licence part sorted as priority as having a french vehicle and insurance may also invalidate towing even on a UK licence, best to be safe than poor after being fined.

"If you have a small trailer 750kg then you do not need to register the trailer"

We have been through this on the forum recently.

Jusqu'à 500 kg de PTAC, aucun document spécial n'est requis.
Au-dessus de 500 kg de PTAC, la remorque doit avoir sa propre carte grise.

Your French insurance normally covers you to tow up 750 kg without notifying them, if you have a UK licence and want to tow anything heavier than that, let them know and they will alter your insurance accordingly, a UK licence is valid for all the groups stated on that licence.

For a French Licence and weights of vehicles that are permisable, look at the following site.

http://www.code-route.com/remorque.htm

Thanks to both of you,

I have a UK licence, one of those new plastic ones with pictures on the back,and categories,B, Car, BE, Car & trailer, C1, Van, C1E Van with large trailer, D1 People Carrier, D1E, People carrier with trailer and fklnp, whatever they are for god knows, or someone on the forum, no doubt.

I would still like to know about speed restrictions etc

Thanks again

Beris

Interesting that the Fench insurance companies do not charge for small trailers but do for large.

In the UK my insurance company does not charge any extra for towing a caravan that weighs in excess of 1400 kg - but does charge £10 for a small trailer for carting things to the dump.

But there again, the caravan is easier to tow than the trailer or, more specifically, reverse.

Archived