Complete France Forum

Importing Canadian registered 4x4 Jeep

bigjimbishop

If you haven't imported it yet, better look into importing that model in some detail. I had planned to re-register my vehicle I bought in Japan then re-registered in the UK but  found out from another guy that it was nearly impossible to do so - Japanese and US vehicles in particular. he did it in the end after a year of paperwork and €1000.

Not sure if it will work better for you, but with our American import, it was a complete nightmare, cost several thousand euros and in the end the MPV croaked and went to the scrap heap, that was after importing tyres from Belgium, having a new exhaust posted from the US and in the end it was forced to fit as it was the wrong diameter, the engine block froze solid, the AC ceased to work and could not be fixed as the gas was notifiably toxic!!  the distributor went and no one in Europe had one,  the immobiliser refused to unlock until a kindly mechanic cut every wire he could find...............shall I go on.......... I had to have it weighed, twice, expensive letters from Paris, three controle techniques, a special plaque made for the VIN number,  not to mention that the number plates ended in CRS so everyone in the village thought were were the secret police !  I would forget it completely.  We could have bought a brand new French car for less than that waste of space cost us.  At least the country meeces built a home in it until the depannage van took it away.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived