Complete France Forum

Second Hand Car Sales

redcap

I have been told that the seller of a second hand car in France is responsible for the road worthyness of the vehicle and if there is a breakdown the seller has to repair or refund costs. I can't believe this to be true but nothing would surprise me. I know that to sell a vehicle it has to have a Carte Grisse with at least 6 months remaining. Now its your turn.

Private sale = bought as seen but must have at least 6months current CT remaining or in writing to purchaser that the vehicle was sold as un-roadworthy if no CT currently. Garages and dealers give a 12-month warranty on second hand vehicles as well as the remaining manufacturers warranty if it applies depending on the age of the vehicle. If you are buying privately and you don't know the vehicle or vendor, take someone along with you who knows vehicles and what to look for in cases of previous accidents or stolen vehicles etc and make sure the vehicle if nearly new is not under an HP purchase scheme or you could be liable for it.

[quote user="Val_2"] and make sure the vehicle if nearly new is not under an HP purchase scheme or you could be liable for it.[/quote]

It is a Certificat de non-Gage that will tell you this.  Obtainable from the Sub-prefecture, and someone on this Forum once said that you can also get them on line, but I have never had occasion to check this out.

Liz

Sorry but you are able to sell a car with less than 6 months CT remaining. It is the new owners

choice whether to buy the car or not with the "legal" remaining time on

the CT but of course this will mean a lower price can be sought.

When a new owner re-registers the car, one would normally find that the

sous prefecture or prefecture may only register it with the legal

amount of CT remaining but just as in most cases, we have re-registered

a car without the required time left and it was only recently that we

chanced our arm and we were given the "new" carte grise on the spot

(all other things being in order to do so).

Archived