Complete France Forum

Certificate of Conformity

Mark

Hi, I am moving to France in October, and have just bought a LHD Land Rover in readiness.  I've received the CoC to fill out from Land Rover France.  Would it be best to fill it out now or wait until after the move, or doesn't it matter?

Thanks, Mark.

Prefectures want a C de C,  it can come from DRIRE or  the manufacturer

You don't mention John that with DRIRE you have to take the vehicle there, in my case it would be 90 minuters each way ( 30€) in fuel and then waste hours and hours there getting your vehicle checked, not to mention the often necessary return visits, of course if there is a DRIRE on your doorstep and you have the time to spare............

Also at the DRIRE the inspection may turn up something which requires attention. Even if it's something very minor like a lighting failure, it will mean a re-visit. Far easier to get the vehicle document now while you've got the time and avoid unnecessary complications.

Ron

I did NOT have to take my vehicle to DRIRE, just various documents.  For our modern, unconverted car there was no physical inspection.

As for the time spent - 1st visit for a list of their requirements immediately followed my visiting the Prefecture for their list of docs (which in our case included something from DRIRE not the factory), the 2nd to present my documents cincincided with another unrelated trip to Cahors.

But things may be different elsewhere.

John

not

If your Land Rover is type approved for France, the manufacturer will issue you with a Certificate of Conformity. This will be sufficient to satisfy the Prefecture and allow you to register without further ado.  Alternatively, you can apply to your local DRIRE for an attestation de conformite.  They will check their database of approved vehicles and if the Land Rover in on the list, they'll issue you with the attestation.  This will be sufficient to satisfy the prefecture also.

You can download the DRIRE application form from their website http://www.drire.gouv.fr  (select the webpage for your local office).  The application form lists all the paperwork you'll need to collect and submit and also includes instructions in english. DRIRE attestations cost 67 euros and (with some exceptions) are usually cheaper than those supplied by the vehicle manufacturers.

There is no need to actually visit the DRIRE - all done by post.  You send the stuff off to them, they check it all and send it on to your local Prefecture.  The Prefecture then send you a letter asking you to come in and collect your new carte grise.  Bingo!

Except - if your Land Rover isn't type approved.  In that case, you need to submit it to the DRIRE for a single vehicle approval inspection (reception de titre isole).  Again, details are on their website. The SVA/RTI route is complex, takes ages, and can be costly (involving inspection visits, replacement of non-type approved parts, eg lenses/windscreen without the E-mark, follow up visits, etc). If you pass, the DRIRE submit the papers to the Prefecture on your behalf, as above.

With a bit of luck, and given the vehicle is LHD, it will be type approved and you'll have your new carte grise in no time.

Archived