braemarpete

I run a kit car which I built myself and really do not want to sell. I

intend moving permanently to France in the next year or so. I would

like to take this car with me and register it properly in France. There

is no Certificate of Conformity but it has passed the Single Vehicle

Approval test in England and has been registered with DVLA and has a 17

digit VIN number. Does anyone know if DRIRE will test it and enable

registration?

Hope someone can help as I have searche French Government sites.

The DRIRE will carry out a single vehicle approval test (reception de titre isole) for those vehicles which do not already have french type approval certificates. That said, the french SVA is a complex and expensive process (of course!) and in the first instance, I suggest you have a look at their [url=www.drire.gouv.fr]website[/url] to start off your research.  The site gives access to numerous "fiches" containing instructions for the various categories of vehicle.  I would check out their various local websites as well as some of the information is not always uniformly published.

They do say that they may accept certain certifications from the competent authorities based it the vehicle's country of provenance, but I doubt whether this will include the UK SVA as it is not formally recognised by France.  However, there may be some elements of conformity that they will accept. A 17 digit VIN number is a good start!

I would suggest you make an appointment to visit your local DRIRE office to discuss the best way forward.  They are usually quite helpful.

The majority of French Kitcars are modded VWs, 2 Cvs or Renault 4's 8s and 10s which retain the original registrations and go through CT as the donor vechile.

My first port of call would be the UK or Dutch owner's clubs and post for advice. I decided against trying to register a Midas 8 years ago but have seen replica 7s and cobras  with French plates so it can be done. 

Archived