Complete France Forum

Change of address on a driving license please.

Gastines

Can anyone tell me who to advise regarding a change of address on a driving license please.  We keep getting acknowledgements from car hire firms to our address for the former owner of our home who has not updated the details on his driving license. We wrote and told the car hire firm of the mistake but since then we have received yet another receipt from them to our address. Whilst this in itself is not too much of an inconvenience, should the person concerned commit any road traffic offences in France, or anywhere else come to that, then the paperwork will arrive at our house. Any advice would be appreciated ASAP, Regards, Mrs Gastines.I might add that he moved out over 3 years ago![:'(]

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, because for a road traffic

offence the letter would go to the address on the carte grise, not the

one on the licence.  Of course he might not have changed that, but

then he would be in trouble.  Any  letters you get, just

write n'habite pas à l'adresse indiqué and put them in a post box[:)]

Dear Tourangelle,

Thanks for your  reply regarding addresses on a driving license. Unfortunately, as the receipts came from car hire firms the driver would not have a carte gris I presume.We have already sent back the previous receipts to the firms hiring the car out and they have obviously not put it into their system as they could have queried it next time he hired a car! If he has no problem then why leave it for 3 years before advising the appropriate authorities. He is also a HGV driver so we are not happy about our address being used as his permanent abode for obvious reasons. Also, we have had letters from Paris Hotel des Impots using our address so just sending stuff back is not an option. Mrs Gastines.[:@]

Tourangelle is right - unless you can trace him and ask him to sort things out, there's nothing more you can do except pop the letters back in the postbox "return to sender" as it were. As they are not addressed to you, then you have no liability even to do this - you could even throw them in the bin - although its only good civic duty to redirect them.

Re the tax letters, if you return them to the Hotel des Impots, I'm sure they'll be able to trace him through his employers. And if you really wanted to be nasty......tell the Gendarmes he's using a driving licence with an old address on it [:D]

Re the tax letters, if you return them to the Hotel des Impots,

I'm sure they'll be able to trace him through his employers. And if you

really wanted to be nasty......tell the Gendarmes he's using a driving

licence with an old address on it [:D]

S.D,

Pretty sure but I always thought that changing a driving licence address

was not actually an offence but not changing the address of the carte grise is

(within a month ? or was, not that all the French take notice of it !) in fact, looking at my licence, it is two addresses

off !

Gastines

do you have your name on your letter box?  If not, perhaps that is

why you are getting the letters.  I agree with Sunday Driver, it

really isn't your problem.  If you name is not on there, perhaps

you should put it on, and if it is, go to the post office to request

that only your post is delivered to you[:)]

And if you really wanted to be nasty......tell the Gendarmes he's using a driving licence with an old address on it

S.D,

I was hoping that you would tell me if it was actually an offence that would make it nasty for anyone not changing their licence to their new address?

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Sorry,.... just checked it out.  Notification of change of address for a driving licence is not obligatory. [:(]

Strange, given that the DL is often used as proof of identity......

[/quote]

Thanks S.D,

Phew............ that's the problem with listening to some French

fonctionaires (where I originally heard that it was not obligatory to

change the address on ones licence) is that every so often, like

regularly ! you get panicky when you read a post that differs. At least

in this instance, one of 'em actually got it right then !! Trouble was,

that was several years ago.

I think the driving icence is for the photo but the so does the ID card

have a photo, perhaps they like a back up for the back up for the back

up and the EDF bill backs all the back up for

the..........................................[;)]