Complete France Forum

French car re-registering in UK

Logan

Has anyone experience of re-registering a French car in the UK ? I want to switch to UK plates for my Renault Laguna. I am hoping the process may not be as long and involved as the French system. Any advice or links would be appreciated.

This gives chapter and verse: http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/exptimpt.htm - and it's official too, so none of the arguments that go on about importing to France from those who for some reason won't accept that they need to register a vehicle in the country where it is kept. The import section is geared towards new vehicles, but you will find the procedures for used vehicles buried in there as well.

compared with france registering an imported vehicle in france is easy peasy. all you need is a valid mot, the present registration document of the country  valid insurance  ( most english companies will insure on the VIN number ) and fee for road tax and registration . of course you do have to fill in the relevant form but these are available in all post offices.

If the vehicle is left hand drive instead of changing the head lights just tape them up some mot stations will pass them like this some will not.

obviously if right hand drive just replace the lights you had to replace for our ever efficient  red tape free french authorities

I,ve imported into england and france and have found that the uk is easier and much cheaper

"obviously if right hand drive just replace the lights you had to replace for our ever efficient  red tape free french authorities"

Err.............[^o)]. Sorry but what is red tape about not having headlights that on dip blind on-coming drivers?

Taped up headlights might get you through an MOT but I doubt it, but as anyone who has driven with taped headlights knows, visibility on dip is poor and for continued use in rural areas downright dangerouus.

Merci Will. I've had a look and it seems a fairly simple procedure like most other things in Britain. I wonder often why I struggled in France for so many years. The French themselves seem to have caught on now to how much life more simple life in UK can be. Cross channel immigration is not just one way with many French families moving here.

Thanks again.

Logan

Just to correct one of the previous posts, the current UK import process is the same as that in France. 

If you phone the DVLA at Swansea, they will send you a full import pack by post.

The pack includes the required forms and includes loads of explanatory leaflets and they're quite happy for you to turn up at your local DVLA office if you need help in filling out the forms, although they won't issue the registration document over the counter.

If you go to the DVLA website as suggested by Will, but then scroll down to the Commercial and other Non Personal Imports section.  You'll find a link (marked SVA4) to the Dept for Transport website.  Once there, select the "How to import your vehicle permanently into Great Britain.  Its a much better site than the DVLA's (to be honest) and you'll find all the details you need on whats required to import a french car into the UK.

As in France, you need the following:

• Evidence of type approval (either a manufacturer's certificate of conformity or a single vehicle approval test);

• Evidence of payment of VAT;

• Original invoice/receipt.

• A current British certificate of insurance.

• Foreign registration document and any other papers you have relating to the vehicle.

• A current British MOT test certificate (if applicable).

• Documentation confirming your name and address

• The registraiton fee and road tax fee 

So, not that different to France, really..... UK registration costs are cheaper but they do hit you for road tax  [;)]

I've just been through the process at Xmas when I sent our french registered Vauxhall Corsa back with our daughter - wedding present!.  The DVLA even said they'd re-issue us with our old registration number if it hadn't been sold off!

Archived