Complete France Forum

cheapest place to insure an English car?

Blade

we have a mitsubishi delica . we've tried the Macif already . anywhere else worthwhile ? we are based near cahors. is car insurance for Right hand drive cars the same price in general as for left hand drive cars? thanks for any help.

[quote user="Blade"]we have a mitsubishi delica . we've tried the Macif already . anywhere else worthwhile ? we are based near cahors. is car insurance for Right hand drive cars the same price in general as for left hand drive cars? thanks for any help.[/quote]

As a general rule, you'll find the mutuelles (Macif, Maaf, Aviva...) should offer a better rate than the banks or insurance companies, as they don't have to keep any shareholdres happy.

Worth a look: http://www.assurances-et-mutuelles.com/assurance_auto.html

When we insured our old Espace (3l, 16V), they showed no concern at all about it being RHD.

Last year, we insured our RHD Vauxhall Corsa with MAAF.  Our previous UK insurance was through a staff discount scheme with Cornhill, but MAFF were quite a bit cheaper still.

I also insure my camping car with MAAF - I'd gotten a quote last summer but haven't taken the insurance out until now.  Same premium, no increase.  Previous insurance was with SAGA, this time its about 80 euros cheaper!

Both policies include free breakdown cover.

I personally think that having an insurer you can deal with personally and have confidence that would deal with any claims in an efficient and sympathetic manner is more important than getting the lowest cost. That's not saying you won't get such service from a low cost insurer, but cost is just one of several things to consider.

I think you will find that, in France, there is, in practice, little difference between mutuelles and other companies. It is difficult to tell which is which, as the word 'mutuelle' in the name may not necessarily indicate that the insurer has true mutual status, and what the French company may tell you is not always the entire story as far as those more used to British institutions are concerned. Aviva, for instance, has shareholders (it is the same company, to all intents and purposes, as Norwich Union). The French Aviva has ties to Commercial Union, General Accident and the Credit du Nord and Société Générale banks - yet some of its offices will still insist it is a mutuelle, thanks to Aviva France's roots in the Burgundy farming community.

Archived