Complete France Forum

Re-importing car back to the U.K

Ty Korrigan

So... French girl friend now wants to try living and working in the U.K...

If this becomes a reality...

How do I reverse the process and re-register/import my car...?

This vehicle was originaly bought in the U.K and exported to France two years ago.

Thank you all again in advance.

hi  reimporting should not be much of a problem. you can pick a form up from any main post office .if the car ismore than three years old you need an mot. you also need the french carte gris and a cheque for registration fee and road fund license. you also need a certificate of insurance. most english insurance companies will insure on the cars vin number. easy peasy  if you want to check out more try the dvlc website they even have forms you can download and current fees     hope the helps

Phone the DVLA and ask them to send you an import pack.  It contains all the forms mentioned above, plus a customs declaration that you'll need to complete.  The guidance notes also state that you'll need to supply a certificate of conformity (sounds familiar!!) but I understand they might waive this as the vehicle was formerly UK registered.  They may even re-issue the old registration number if it hasn't already been sold.  They're very helpful and you can even take the forms round to the local office for help in filling them in.

I'm not in this situation, but asking as a matter of interest only - what happens with the registration plate for the re-imported vehicle IF the original registration has been sold off?  Do you get a new registration which corresponds with the year which it was originally sold, or end up on something odd like a 'Q' registration?

(I'm ok as I've still got the plates in the garage so I know they haven't sold them [;)]  [:D] )

Archived