Complete France Forum

Driving motorbikes if you only have car license

You can, but you're limited to 50cc mopeds.(actually, it may be slightly higher, but certainly not much).  I've got one in France and can drive (and, more importantly, insure) it using my UK licence. Don't expect it to be easy (or cheap) to get insured though. I had quite a lot of hassle getting insurance because there's a high incidence of theft of scooters, etc. Found that we could only get insurance with the same company who insures our house, as other companies said they'd only insure a scooter if they handled all our insurance. It appears it's just not economical for them to insure only a scooter as the claim risk is too high (can you hear my heart bleeding? Poor insurance companies!!). Anyway, when I rang our house insurers, armed with the info gathered from other refusals, they also refused to insure me, and only relented (very quickly!) when I said "That's a pity, because others have said they'd insure us if we moved our house insurance to them, so it looks as if you'll be losing our business!!" Got a quote within seconds!!

[quote user="Croixblanches"]You can, but you're limited to 50cc mopeds.(actually, it may be slightly higher, but certainly not much). [/quote]

I have a 125cc scooter and it's classed here as a motorbike.

[quote]I've got one in France and can drive (and, more importantly, insure) it using my UK licence[/quote]

Same here.

[quote]Don't expect it to be easy (or cheap) to get insured though[/quote]

I got mine insured with Maaf, who also do my car and house insurances.

I could also have got insured with Yamaha (make of my 2nd hand scooter) but Maaf were marginally cheaper and for me it was mainly easier to keep it all under one roof:

fully comp + extra for damaged helmet & clothing for €165.

No hassle at all.

Archived