Complete France Forum

Points on UK licence transferred to French Licence ?

audiop

HI there, newcomer to forums moving to France in June. Can anyone tell me if points on a UK licence are transferred to a French Licence when one applies for the change ?

I have eight points on my UK licence, will it be better to change to a French one or stay with the uK licence ?

Do French Insurers operate in the same way, i.e. are points and NCB used in calculation of premium ?

Any help greatly appreciated.Angry [:@]

You do not have to change to a French Driving license unless ordered to do so by the Police/Gendarmarie following a driving offence that carries a penalty as the French system is opposite to the UK, here you lose points from 12.

This has been covered on here a lot recently, so for more comments do a search on Driving Licenses.

Points and NCB are taken into account when calculating insurance premiums.

Are insurers different Sunday Driver, or has something changed?

Last time I asked our insurer they said no. We both have clean licenses incidentally, it was just me being nosey.

[quote user="Teamedup"]

As far as we are aware, the insurance companies do not take points into account.

[/quote]

That was my experience, they did not even look at the paper bit, they were just amazed that we still needed a piece of paper to support a plastic card.  but then have you seen the size of the old French licenses[:D]

Archived