Complete France Forum

I need a VAN !!!!!

janda

Hi all

Help needed can anyone advise me as the best way to buy a new van. (Peugeot Boxer 2.0 or Citroen Relay 1100 type)

i. In the U.K. and re register in France

ii. In France

iii. In another E.C country ie Germany, Belgum, Spain etc

With Thanks

Dave

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars !!!!!!!       Stay lucky.

It really depends on the price that you can negotiate versus the processes you'll have to go through.  Here are some of the factors you'll need to consider:

i.  UK van.  Buy it UK tax free for export then pay the 19.6% TVA on arrival in France.  Buy new headlamps, change the rear fog light over then register it here.  A RHD van will have limited second hand value in Europe, so you'll probably need to re-import it into the UK to realise any decent residual value from it.

ii. French van.  No problems.

iii. German van.  Buy it tax paid in Germany.  Purchase mandatory German transit plates (with 5 day insurance cover) for bringing the van back from Germany.  Pay 19.6% French TVA on arrival here, then apply to German customs for refund of the orginal VAT that you paid on delivery.  Receive their cheque in about a month or so.  Register van in France within 15 days of import.

You'd also need to consider the additional costs of sourcing the vehicle abroad (collecting the van, hotels, fuel, time spent, etc)

If you are buying the vehicle for use in business in France then you need to buy it on credit terms. You get allowances for this in your business accounts too along with the depreciation allowances and also anyone in business who goes and buys a brand new vehicle for cash/cheque will attract the attention of les impôts especially when you put the purchase through your books - just a friendly warning which was made clear to us by Citroën some years ago and they offered us very good credit terms for repayment especially if you are TVA registered for claiming it back.

Archived