Complete France Forum

Garages and Holidays !!!

Frederick

On  Thursday the 18th of May I managed to snap off the inside door handle of my Citroen C5.... as I was going out to France that night on Friday I presented myself at the main dealers 14 klm from the house and requested they fit new handle ....it was booked in for Wednesday 24th  3 pm...... I was at the garage on the dot and was impressed by the way I was received and offered a car to go off shopping while they spent the  hour  needed fixing the car. My wife and I declined the offer of a car and walked off in the direction of the shops  only to find a guy from the garage running up behind us and requesting  our return. I was then told they could not fix the car....the door handle had not arrived at the garage although  they had 5 days to get one.....it was explained to me that Citroen had sent a fax to the Garage stating that as the coming Friday was a bank holiday ...no parts would be sent out that week and any ordered parts would arrive on the Monday after the bank holiday........I returned to the UK and my local dealer had a door handle the following day and it was replaced in 30 minutes..while I was given coffee and newspapars ..at a cost of £27. plus the part .  How silly of me to think the car could be repaired in the week there was a French Bank Holiday !

Which year was this?  There have been NO Friday bank holidays in France this year, not even Good Friday. 

Not quite sure what point you are trying to make, parts counters at garages in the UK are open on bank holidays, so should French ones? Citroen main dealers don't keep every spare for every model or one non essential part was not sent out to a garage out of thousands of others...... or what?  

Actually Ron Thursday 25th May was ascension and most of the service industries (around here anyway) took the Friday as a bridging day to make along W/E..[:)] So double trouble getting parts out to the garage in time.

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

Not quite sure what point you are trying to make, parts counters at garages in the UK are open on bank holidays, so should French ones? Citroen main dealers don't keep every spare for every model or one non essential part was not sent out to a garage out of thousands of others...... or what?  

[/quote]

No, it's the fact that French home market Citroens are clearly built with superior quality parts, otherwise the French dealer would have had to stock this item in case of failure - just like the UK dealer.....[;-)]

Yes garage was closed both the Thursday and the Friday...the point I found strange was that Citroen had informed  by fax all garages that  the week of the day off which..... OK was Thursday and they took Friday as well .....was enough for them to shut down the parts department  and no parts were sent out for the whole week ! ....... and the C5  interior door handles  are flimsy....... my local dealer has replaced 3 that have snapped off  they are very thin cast  metal .

Archived