Complete France Forum

New Car purchase

Chezstevens

Good evening,

I am looking to purchase a runaround for SWMBO.  Probably a diesel Berlingo or the new Skoda Roomster.  Has anybody details of a discount new car broker in France?  Happy with internet; or, entrepeneur close to south Deux Sevres.  I understand quite a few folk go to Belgium to purchase new cars - I also notice that the customs officers stop cars with export plates on the autoroute.  Any problems paying with your french account for car in belgium then driving back and paying taxes at the l'impot office?  Heard that there used to be a limit on cash exported to stop 'black economy' monies being spent - I presume paying with card then furnishing bill will avoid problems.

Have done a search on site but nothing found.

Regards

Vern

It's just a normal car buying situation.  No need for cash - easiest way is to pay the Belgian supplying dealer by bank transfer before collecting the car.  Make sure you specify it's for export because you'll have to pay the VAT in France rather than in Belgium.  Your local hotel des impots will give you the necessary tax certificate/receipt to get the car registered.

Note: if you buy the car from Germany, then you'll have to pay German VAT on collection, then pay French VAT on arrival in France.  You then reclaim the original German VAT from the German customs (takes about a month usually).

Get a price from a Belgium website/dealer and ask your local dealer if he will match it. We have for 2 cars we have purchased here and it worked. I have also been told that main dealers are very funny if you have an import and a warrenty problem.

Archived