Complete France Forum

Towbar electrics

thunderhorse

No they should work together. We have same combination, English caravan,english trailer and a brit car with towgear fitted in France.

They should be very easy to test,  There are 7 different coloured wires that make up the sequence, look at your car plug get some coloured feltip pens and draw the sequence. Look at your trailer plug and see if they match.

this is assuming that they have not been tampered with by the previous owners.

It is simple to rewire but time consuming.  We have had to do the caravan one acouple of times if the wire and plug have been dropped and chipped during manoevering.

Hope this helps.

We downloaded the info from google which gave us a diagram with all the colours and holes etc when we wanted to change the electrics on an english trailer to a better system of lights etc and to conform with our french vehicles.

[quote user="Val_2"]This is the site - www.towitall.co.uk/wiring_diagrams.htm. To conform I meant by having the correct number of bulbs/boxes etc on the back of the trailer as it has been re-done so many times both here and in the UK by different mechanics and the number plate has had to be re-sited too causing problems with the light clusters.[/quote]

Hi Val, I think that your link ahould be http://www.towitall.co.uk/trailer_wiring/instructions.htm giving 'instructions' not 'diagrams'. If you are doing the wiring on a U.K. car that already has a U.K. tow bar and both plugs (12N & 12S for a caravan) then I think that you will find that the fridge isolate relay is on the car, but the relay is on the caravan if it's a French or Continental model.

John.

Archived