Complete France Forum

Any age restriction on drivers?

Patmobile

My mother is considering coming to live in France.  She's 87 and very independent.  She has driven since her teens, was an American Ambulance Brigade driver during WW2 and still zips about everywhere in her Citroen.

She's worried that she may not be allowed to continue to drive if she moves over here.  Does anyone have any information?

Patrick

I thought it was the opposite of UK where you have to find a Doctor/Do an exam to show you are fit to drive after 70.  However there are only 13 from memory US states which allow automatic transfer of licenses. Lousiana is one, try searching on

Americans Toulouse

For more info.

Perhaps you could enquire at your local medical centre or the mairie to see if it is compulsory for over 70's here in France to have a medical every so often as I was convinced it was for some reason. At least you would know definately.

There is no age limit for drivers in France and periodic routine medical checks are not normally required for holders of Class B (car) licences. 

However, certain medical conditions/disabilities may prohibit the holding of a driving licence or impose restrictions on its validity and/or duration.  The [url=http://www.code-route.com/incompatibilites_physiques2005.pdf] Decree of  21 December 2005 [/url]modifies the Code de la Route and sets out precise details of the applicable conditions, together with the associated medical report requirements.

If your mother has a UK driving licence, then it will be of limited duration so she will need to simply exchange it for a French one.  If, as suggested by Anton, it is a US licence, then you need to find out which states have exchange arrangements with France, otherwise she'll have to sit a French driving test to obtain a licence here.

Archived