Complete France Forum

Re: Importing and registering your UK car to France

deke89

Hi there,

Me and my friend are from london and we're  thinking about taking a road trip in around france..

we are hoping to buy a cheap lhd  car here and sell it in france at the end of the trip .....

does anyone know if this is possible?

will we have to pay tax..

we read somewhere that you also have to own an import for 6 months before selling it... is this true??

many thanks

deke89

If the cheap LHD car you'll be buying in London is UK registered, then you may drive it in France on its UK plates for up to six months provided that you have notified the DVLA that you are the new keeper, it is taxed and MOT'd during the whole period you're over here and you have the appropriate insurance cover.

When you come to sell it in France, it'll still be a cheap LHD UK registered car, so it'll be worth virtually nothing. Any French person who buys it from you will be faced with the expense of importing and re-registering it in their name, so it'll probably won't be an attractive proposition.  The buyer won't have to pay any tax.

However, if the car you'll be buying in London is French registered, then you won't be able to drive it in France without re-registering it here in your name.  To do that, you'd need a French address. If you don't have a French address, then you'd have to formally import it into the UK and register it with the DVLA.  You'd then be able to drive it in France under the criteria outlined in paragraph one above.

I think you have misunderstood.

You don't have to drive it on UK plates for 6 months - that's the maximum period that you may drive it.....as a visitor to France, that is. After that, your time is up and you are no longer legal for driving the car in France.  You will either have to bring the car back to the UK, or you can sell it in France if you wish.  The vehicle will stay on its UK plates for as long as it's registered in the UK.

Archived