Complete France Forum

prefecture

londoneye

about to undertake process of registering car in france.     information on site great, but one thing i still cant find, and  i know there is another thread about this but still not sure.    where on earth can i find our 'local' prefecture.    i have tried googling etc but get some very strange results.      i would have thought there would be one in our nearest town but getting a blank.    if all else fails i will go to ask mairie but they mysteriously never seem to be open whenever i go there!   is there another name for prefecture by chance that i should be searching for?

We went to the prefecture in our departmental town, only to be told we shoudl have gone to the sous prefecture, and they gave us the address.  How did I find our prefecture?  No idea.  I think it was the people who register the car, and I found them over the internet...

But now I know that if you look in the phone book (White pages) for your department town, look for Prefecture you get a long list of numbers, just choose the one you want.  It also has the addresses.  Ours indicates a different address for the carte grise!

Happy hunting

The prefecture is situated in the departmental capital (ie the "county town").  In Haute Vienne, its Limoges. There are also sous-prefectures at Bellac and Rochchouart.

Limoges prefecture handles all the vehicle registrations for Haute Vienne.  If you wish, you can hand your documents into one of the sous-prefectures and they will check them for completeness then send them to Limoges for processing.

Address for the prefecture is:

Rue de la Préfecture

87031 LIMOGES Cedex

Téléphone : (33) 05 55 44 18 00

thanks for this - i think (without checking) that limoges is nearest of those options for us, but still a big chunk out of our day to take a form in.

I believe i have read (probably a posting from yourself, though could be wrong) that its not necessarily a good idea to post the forms (although possible?).   Might have to take this option rather than 'wasting' (sorry but it is a waste for us) a day going to limoges and back.

thanks everyone

Archived