Complete France Forum

sunday-driver

Dave&Olive

hi

ok only way i could get your attention,,, sorry !!!!

ok I have just been given a 125 cc motor bike by one of my French friends "long story" but he rekons I can drive it , ok i used to have a 250cc machine back in the 70`s but never took the test question is can you have the best of 2 worlds my uk licence only covers me for a 50cc machine but here in france you can drive a 125 ???

dave

Dave

Light motorcycles of up to 125cc and with a power rating not exceeding 11kW fall within licence category A1 which is acquired after passing a theory and practical riding test.

As your French friend says, if you have a category B licence, then this includes entitlement to ride a motorcycle in sub-category A1 - but only in the country where the licence was issued (art. R221-8 code de la route)

That means your UK category B licence covers you for riding a 125 only in the UK (where it's under provisional entitlement conditions).  If you want to ride a 125 over here, then you'd need a French category B licence (there is no "provisional" licence status in France) 

Alternatively, you could sit the motorcycle driving test here and get yourself a full category A (big bike) licence! [8-|]

Archived