Complete France Forum

Insurers insist I change a British Licence to a French one...

Crevette

I just had a bit of a "dispute" with an insurance company who insist I change my British liscense to a French one.

They claim that I should change to a French one after one years residence in France.

As pointed out on the thread "Fined 90 Euros for having a UK licence", only non-EU licences need to be changed to French ones as the UK one is still valid.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F1757.xhtml

They claim to have read the text at ;

http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/WAspad/UnArticleDeCode?code=CROUTENR.rcv&art=R222-1

"Article R222-1

Tout permis de conduire national délivré à une personne ayant sa résidence normale en France par un Etat membre de la Communauté européenne ou d'un autre Etat partie à l'accord sur l'Espace économique européen, en cours de validité dans cet Etat, est reconnu en France sous réserve que son titulaire satisfasse aux conditions définies par arrêté du ministre chargé des transports, après avis du ministre de l'intérieur et du ministre chargé des affaires étrangères. Ces conditions sont relatives à la durée de validité, au contrôle médical, aux mentions indispensables à la gestion du permis de conduire ainsi qu'aux mesures restrictives qui affectent ce permis.
   Dans le cas où ce permis a été délivré en échange d'un permis de conduire d'un Etat n'appartenant pas à la Communauté européenne ou à l'Espace économique européen et avec lequel la France n'a pas conclu d'accord de réciprocité en ce domaine, il n'est reconnu que pendant un délai d'un an après l'acquisition de la résidence normale en France de son titulaire.

Tout titulaire d'un des permis de conduire considérés aux deux alinéas précédents, qui établit sa résidence normale en France, peut le faire enregistrer par le préfet du département de sa résidence selon les modalités définies par arrêté du ministre chargé des transports, après avis du ministre de l'intérieur et du ministre chargé des affaires étrangères.
   On entend par "résidence normale" le lieu où une personne demeure habituellement, c'est-à-dire pendant au moins 185 jours par année civile, en raison d'attaches personnelles ou d'attaches professionnelles."

and

http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/WAspad/UnArticleDeCode?code=CROUTENR.rcv&art=R222-3 (which applied to non-EU members..?)

...and interpreted it to mean I need to get a French liscence within a year of being in France.

I am going to write back to fight my case (I don't want to pay the 22 euro's and waste some time in a prefecture for no reason!)

All advice welcomed!

-Rob-

It didn't cost us anything to change to a French licence, other than a photograph, (Manche, prefecture St Lo, 18 months ago) and as for wasting the time of a fonctionnaire... they'll thank you for it as it continues to ensure they're employed... till they get that nice, guaranteed pension... [:P]

I would love to change to another company but this one is via my CE (comite enterprise) and is 560 / year for fully comp insurance (a Ford Focus 2.0) where as I am currently paying 1080 / year! Other quotes I have had were about 750 / year.

As far as I can see,the company are only inforcing this because they believe it is law, not because it is a policy.

-Rob-

PS: If it is free to change then I may well give in and get another one - although I like the "credit card" UK one's as it's easy to carry around and acts as a piece of idenitification in shops, etc. (used for getting a new Carte Grise, paying by UK credit cards in some stores, etc). As far as I understand, you need to hand in the old one when you get a French one.

We're just changing our Focus Estate for a new one 1600TDCi 110ch Ghia trim auto and we are being charged 433,20€ by Pacifica (via CA) fully comp payable monthly. OK there are some excesses to take into account and only two mature named drivers and the engine lags some way behind yours on performance but surely you can do better than what you've been quoted?

Benjamin

Archived