Complete France Forum

Motorbike importation 100bhp?

Allmech

I have a Yamaha XJR1300 which I bought new in the UK in 2002, and wish to import it if I can, but not sure with the 100bhp rule.

The engine is 1251cc and produces 78.1kW (106.2HP) @ 8,000rpm,  at first i thought this was over the limit, but reading a french bike bike mag they seem to list all the powerfull bikes @ 106.2HP and not 100HP as I thought the rule was. Does anyone know if I will be able to get a type approval cert from Yamaha France without restricing it. A french freind of mine only help was for me to take it back to the UK and sell it and buy a French XJR1300 cos it will be better cos it will be a French Yam and not a Brit Yam!! 

I have looked on Yamaha France website and they currently list the XJR and YZF-R1  as the above power output.

Another question, will I have to change the speedo even thou it reads both MPH and KM?

I brought my Honda Pan European over last year and didn't have a problem.

I've dug out my old attestation de conformite from Honda France- it specified as exceptions a headlamp change and kph speedo.  I didn't do anything about these and the prefecture accepted the certificate without question.  If your speedo has kph then it's OK.  I understand that the proper procedure is to have the changes made at a bike garage, then take the bike and garage receipts to the DRIRE and they issue a single vehicle approval certificate.  Then it's off to the prefecture.

Regarding the power ratings: 

The standard UK Honda ST1100 is rated at 100PS/7,500rpm (DIN)

That's the equivalent of 74kW/7,500min-1

The limit for motorcycles for France is 73.6kW.

The Honda attestation shows my bike at 69.5kW

Mmmm. I wonder if Honda were making amends for messing me about and taking three months to issue the conformity certificate?

Or perhaps they somehow knew my binding front calipers needed a good cleaning......

You say your bike is a 2002 registration.  All bikes manufactured for the European market and registered after January 1999 came with an EU whole vehicle certificate of conformity which is valid for registration in France.  However, new bikes which didn't have an EU conformity certificate (such as the MkI Fazer) were allowed to be sold up until 2003 - remember all the pre-registered Fazers that came on the market at that time at discounted prices?

I suggest you contact Yamaha France and request a conformity certificate for registration in France.  If your bike is EU whole vehicle compliant, you'll get an EU certificate of conformity.  If it's pre-EU whole vehicle conformity, then they'll issue an attestion of French national type approval.  Both are valid for registration here.

Address:

Yamaha Motor France
Service Homologation
5 Avenue Fief
95310 SAINT OUEN L'AUMONE
Tel: 01 34 30 31 00

Archived