Complete France Forum

Settling an accident without passing by insurance

Crevette

I scraped a car (damages 250 for a bumper) and was about to settle this with my insurance when I worked out that over 10 years I would probably end up paying 2500 euro's more due to losing my bonus/malus! (currently .76).

The person was badly parked (not in the bays) but I would imagine the blame is almost fully my own.

I have proposed to settle outside of the assurance but what can I do to make sure the assurance claim is written off? (the owner checked this is posible as the amount is less than 380 euros).

Should I get a written declaration (attenstation) cancelling the claim and acknowledging receipt of the money? I would imaging it's best to meet with the owner directly? (and to pay cash if a attenstation is received?)

Any thoughts appreciated.

Regards,

-Rob-

Sounds like you are making a mountain out of molehill to me. Why not just get the "victim" to get his car booked in for the reparation and you pay the garage bill when he sends it to you keeping a photocopy for yourself as proof and of the cheque written. We did just this when my husband backed into our accountant who was parked in our drive, doing about 300€ worth of paint damage. Both sides were happy and no one lost out because believe you me, claiming here on vehicle insurance when it is not your fault does not guarantee that you won't get a huge increase in premium or being marked up as a regular claimer on the insurance details.

Thanks for the quick reply - sounds like good advice (I'm probably just being paranoid that they take the money and then claim by the insurance!).

> Both sides were happy and no one lost out because believe you me, claiming here on vehicle insurance when it is not your fault does not guarantee that you won't get a huge increase in premium or being marked up as a regular claimer on the insurance details.

I found this out when trying to change insurance - I had my car smashed up two times (both 0 responsibility) and when looking to move found the premiums to be high because of this - apparantly it is a more recent change in the French insurance market due to some european directives. I don't -think- it changed my existing premium however (which reduced each year due to the bonus/malus factor reducing).

Regards,

-Rob-

I can support Val's statement that claiming for an accident when it's not your fault can reflect on your bonus/malus status. It certainly did for us and we learnt the hard way. Recently a worker in the DIY place broke our van windscreen while loading wood. Our AXA agent advised having it repaired, paying and giving the man the bill. Let's hope it works out. Pat.

Archived