Complete France Forum

UK Driving Licence (not again!)

sid

I've found quite a few posts about continuing to use a UK driving licence whilst living in France but...

The DVLA seem happy to accept that the address is no longer relevent, and the licence is accepted in France (until we commit an offence which has points deductable, whereupon we are required to obtin a French one), but what happens if you are driving in the UK, on a visit for example, and are involved in a situation where production of the licence is demanded by the police? Is it an offence in UK to have incorrect address details?

Sid

My understanding, for what it's worth, is that if you explain the situation to the officers to whom you are speaking in the UK (hence no language problems) and tell them you live in France, they will know enough of the law not to prosecute you - unlike the French police who - apparently - don't know the French law and get it wrong so many times.

When I asked the DVLA about this myself, a couple of years ago, they sent me a letter explaining that I could keep my UK licence in spite of its bearing an incorrect address.  I carry this letter around with my licence, just to avoid the possibility of the kind of problem you describe.

I think you will find that, in the UK, there is no law against having an incorrect address on your license - you only break the law if you fail to notify DVLA of a new address when required to do so. Therefore, as you aren't required to notify them of a new address outside the UK then you haven't broken any laws.

Archived