Complete France Forum

36 year old Triumph Herald

Cat71

I've done a search but can't find any info so hope you can help.

We have a Triumph Herald which I tootle around in daily. She has French insurance but as yet we have not imported her and can't ignore the fact that we need to!  

I know the regulations are going to be different because of her age but I'm convinced the local prefecture will have problems dealing with it so I need as much information as possible to be well armed when I visit.

Has anyone imported a classic car?

Thanks,

Catherine

The regulations are the same for all cars, and this should be a piece of cake for both you and your prefecture.

You can register your Herald two ways - either as a normal car or as a voiture de collection.  The difference is whether you can obtain a type approval conformity certificate or not.

1.  Normal car.  You will need to obtain an attestation de conformite from:

ABP
254 Avenue du President Wilson
93210 ST DENIS

Tel./fax: 01 34 73 48 02
mobile: 06 72 61 61 25

They are now the official providers of homologation documentation for all Rover Group products. They are very helpful and respond very quickly to requests.

2.  Voiture de collection.  If for some reason, ABP can't issue the normal type approval certificate for your car, then apply to the [url=http://www.ffve.org]Federation Francaise des Voitures d'Epoque[/url] for an FFVE attestation. This certifies that your Herald is over 30 years old and can therefore be registered as a voiture de collection without having to have a full type approval certificate.

Either way, you'll need a controle technique certificate to register the car.

The documents you will need to hand over at your prefecture are as follows:

- demand de certificat d'immatriculation

- V5C registration document

- ABP attestation or FFVE attestation (whichever is applicable)

- CT certificate (no more than six months old)

- quittus fiscal tax certificate

- passport

- utility bill

If you've had to go the FFVE route, then your new carte grise will be marked "voiture de collection".  The only restriction is, you can't drive a VdC outside Metropolitan France.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

If you've had to go the FFVE route, then your new carte grise will be marked "voiture de collection".  The only restriction is, you can't drive a VdC outside Metropolitan France.

[/quote]

I think you'll find that a "carte grise collection" only allows the car to be driven within the département in which it is registered or the départements bordering on it, unless they are attending an organised event for such vehicles and have obtained a carnet authorising them to attend. For that reason some owners of vehicles 25 years or older (not 30) choose to keep the car with a full carte grise.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

They are now the official providers of homologation documentation for all Rover Group products. They are very helpful and respond very quickly to requests.

[/quote]Hey SD, does this mean they could provide the documents for my Landy?  I am having such trouble getting anybody to reply.  It's difficult to know these days, what qualifies as Rover group and what doesn't!

I think it is our insurance company that restricts us to driving within the department. However, although she made it all the way down here from England, in one go with only a couple of stops, we don't like to take her too far. She is quite an old lady but she keeps the local French population amused.

When we moved to France I thought we had escaped all the "I learnt to drive in a Triumph Herald" comments everytime we stopped anywhere. However, the first time I drove into our one horse village a French chap stopped me and in French said, "I learnt to drive in a Triumph Herald!" I just can't get away from it.

Catherine

Archived