Complete France Forum

Carte Grise glitch?

Mark

Just seeking a bit of last minute reassurance before getting my carte grise.  When I visit my local prefecture and fill in a demande de certificate d'immatriculation, I will, in line with SD's excellent advice, dutifully take it to the counter and hand it over together with my certificat de conformite/attestation d'identite, quittus fiscal, proces-verbal de controle technique, V5C registration document, invoice/receipt, passport and a utility bill.  My slight concern is that the invoice/receipt won't show any VAT paid on the vehicle, as it was paid by a previous owner when imported into England from Germany.  However, I have no record of that transaction. 

Will they mind?  Will they understand that as this is the second time the vehicle has been imported/exported between EU countries, it wasn't subject to VAT when we bought it?  Will they tell me to go away and never darken their door again?!

I suspect I'll be ok, but confirmation from someone on here would be welcome.

Thanks, Mark.

[quote user="Mark"]Just seeking a bit of last minute reassurance before getting my carte grise.  When I visit my local prefecture and fill in a demande de certificate d'immatriculation, I will, line with SD's excellent advice, dutifully take it to the counter and hand it over together with my certificat de conformite/attestation d'identite, quittus fiscal, proces-verbal de controle technique, V5C registration document, invoice/receipt, passport and a utility bill.  My slight concern is that the invoice/receipt won't show any VAT paid on the vehicle, as it was paid by a previous owner when imported into England from Germany.  However, I have no record of that transaction.

Will they mind?  Will they understand that as this is the second time the vehicle has been imported/exported between EU countries, it wasn't subject to VAT when we bought it?  Will they tell me to go away and never darken their door again?

I suspect I'll be ok, but confirmation from someone on here would be welcome. Thanks, Mark.[/quote]

I understand your anxiety (!) but I was never asked for any VAT receipt, invoice / receipt, utility bill or even quittus fiscal when I registered my 2 UK bought cars...

All I had was the export certificates, controle technique for the older one, and certificates of conformity... and my cheque book! They didn't even aask for my (then) out of date French ID card...!

Why not give them a ring before going over? they usually hide as "service de carte grise" under the préfecture listing of your departement...

I recently re-registered a Jeep Cherokee which we had imported from Germany to the UK and then to France (there was a reason why we didn't import it straight to France!), and I had no problems at all - had Certificate de Conformité, Quittus Fiscal, form from the Prefecture, EDF bill,V5, and passport.

You should be fine!!

Chris

Archived