Complete France Forum

L Plates

Deimos

In the UK a learner driver has L plates on their car (i.e. before they pass their test). I appreciate that in France a learner driver (before passing test) cannot drive a car accompanied as in the UK but, do French learner drivers have the red "L plates" on their cars whilst under instruction. I'm sure I've seen driving school cars around but cannot remember if they have the red "L" plates on (plus the auto shops do not sell them - presumable because driving accompanied is not allowed).

Similarly, I notice in the auto shops a couple of different coloured "A" plates. Is there significance to the colours (different meanings) ?

Ian

There are no L-plates in France.  Initial driving tuition must be carried out in an auto ecole vehicle.  After reaching an approved level of driving competence, a pupil may then drive under the accompanied driver system (eg with their parent) whilst displaying a sticker on the rear of their car (white circle with diagram of two people side by side).  They have to drive for at least 3,000kms during a minimum of one year and maintain a log book of their driving.

Once they pass their test, they receive a permis probatiore (with only six points instead of twelve) which lasts for 3 years (2 years if they've done the accompanied driver bit).  During this time they must display the red A sticker - it signifies apprendre - "still learning".

I'm not aware of any difference in colour.

Archived