Complete France Forum

Headlamps - The great debate

audiop

Just been reading several threads and many posts and there seems to be much disagreement about whether it is neccessary to change RHD headlamps to LHD ones.

So is it possible to get a CT passed without changing the lights ?

Also confused about certificate of conformity - is this issued at the CT station for older cars. Mine is a Peugeot 406 year 2000.

Thanks

It is sometimes possible to pass a CT without "continental" headlights - depends on:

a) your car and whether the lights are adjustable to avoid dazzling oncoming drivers

and/or

b) the testing station - some appear, in the past, to have allowed stupid bits of masking tape or deflectors.  Not a very bright solution if you are living here.

The CT station issues the CT certificate. 

The certificate of conformity is a totally different thing.  It may be in your car manual, it may be obtainable from the manufacturer, or failing that from the DRIRE.  You need it to register your car.

To be honest if you are moving your car here permanently then safety should be your main concern. In my personal opinion having changed headlights over it seems the word deflector is inappropriate as what it actually does is cut off the beam so it does not shine in people’s eyes. It does not move the beam over to the right and illuminate the sidewalk neither does it help to spot ditches etc. When I changed my lights over it was like another world that I had never seen before and I have to say I felt considerably safer driving at night on dipped beam. I think that using deflectors as opposed to changing the headlamps over increases your chance of having an accident.

As to passing a CT with deflectors it is something that has come up many times over the years. Some places make you change your headlights and others accept them with deflectors. At the end of the day it really appears to be pot luck. But as I have already said, if here permanently, do your self and your family a favour and change them. Better safe than dead.

Thx to all of you for replies - think its good advice to change them, after all its a lot cheaper than replacing the car with the French equivalent !

Also have not done a lot of night time driving in France before on hols but now liviing here, have  noticed how difficult it is to drive at night, now of course I realise why !

Your 2000 Peugeot will have been manufactured in accordance with EU Whole Vehicle Type Approval, so if you contact Peugeot France, they'll provide you with an EU certificate of conformity which will be sufficient to register the car at your prefecture.  They will charge you a fee for this, probably around 120 euros.

Although your car is type approved for France, the RHD headlamps mean that you might not conform with the code de la route regulation regarding dazzling oncoming drivers.  That means you will normally be required to change them for the CT test, but it may be possible to avoid this if the lights can be mechanically adjusted.  External add-on devices such as sticky tape or beam benders, which can become dislodged and fall off, are not approved (it's the same position as in the UK).  In any case, they are not particularly effective for night driving.

You can buy LHD units quite cheaply from motor factors or off E-Bay, and when you balance the cost (say, a nice meal out for four) against the safety of your family, then it's a bit of a no-brainer really.....

Edit:  Blimey, three replies in the time it took me to type this, go and top up my whisky glass and have a pee........

SD

If it is a 2000 reg. Peugeot, isn't the certificate of EU conformity in the handbook?  When I went to Renault for my Twingo, they looked in the Handbook first as they told me that since 1998/9 the cerificate should in the handbook and it is only necessary to apply for a COF for older cars. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you are still in the UK, I obtained my Cert for my 407 as below. Very quickly and with no charge.

You will need to show proof of ownership as well.

Regards.

More2Learn

Certificates of Conformity can be obtained from:

Ms Anna Heaphy
Homologation Engineer
Peugeot Motor Company PLC
PO Box 25
Humber Road
Coventry
CV3 1BD

tele: 02476 884000

Alternatively please e-mail your request to Ms Heaphy, giving vehicle details including full chassis number, to -

anna.heaphy@mpsa.com

Regards
Peugeot Export

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Ron

In theory, it's supposed to be in the handbook of every post 1998 car, but I've yet to come across anyone whose handbook contained the certificate.  Mine doesn't....[:(]

I suppose you're the first?[:D]

[/quote]

There is one in my Vauxhaul Zafira handbook

• 2 weeks later...
i can confirm this - i contacted ms heaphy when i had to obtain a certificate some months ago and it arrived  within around 4 days, at no cost - fantastic service on the part of peugeot (and no i dont work for them or have anything to do with them whatsoever).

Local gossip tells me that there are 3 possible reactions from the CT man when presented with a RHD car fitted with gender benders on headlamps

1. No way, Pedro

2. Ok but only for 3 months

3. No problem (ironically the response when I presented my RHD car for MoT in England)

Your RHD car should fail the CT if you have done nothing.

John

not

Archived