Complete France Forum

Renault Laguna

James

Hello,

We are thinking about getting a brand new Renault Laguna 1.9 DCI 95bhp saloon.

How has the reliability been for you, and what things have gone wrong with the car?

How good is the fuel economy?

The reason I like the car is for its good safety record.

Many thanks James.

Or check out http://www.ciao.co.uk/Renault_Laguna_5075346_4, or, if you want to know what real French people think:http://www.ciao.fr/Avis/Renault_Laguna_1_9_dCi__105369

I've had several of these and so has TOH (I won't trouble you with the details of why, or I could be accused of bias) and liked them just fine. TOH would have another now, even if he had to buy it himself. Fuel economy  is fantastic IMHO, and I hope they've fixed the sensor problem that used to keep telling us we had flat tyres even when we didn't, because it did that so often that I actually drove miles on a flat because I didn't believe it.

Henry Ford used to visit scrap yard in the USA to check out whch parts had not worn out on scrapped Fords so he could reduce the specefication on them. I always thought of Renaults as French Fords. Family have owned a number of Renaults ( 4 ls, 8s and 16 which seemed to have responded the Gore Vidal on MB - it was very rusty ) When ever somebody speaks of owing several of the same model I wonder what wears out and why you need a new one.

I can answer that one quite easily, of you're referring to me: as I worked for the company in question, I got a new one every 6 months and one for TOH as well. Nothing wore out and I never "needed" a new one. I don't drive a Renault now, but I don't get them free any more. TOH still does, but not a Laguna.

It's good to have some comments from fellow owners, but personally, I would use the What Car and similar sites as their data is much broader and less pesonalised - you can look for the features that are really important to you which may not concern others.  No doubt it is self-evident but you can use my link above and select virtually any car on the market but beware, French specs (even for French cars) can differ from UK ones but obviously not insofar as the chassis etc is concerned.  Glad you got the info' you needed, James.

We currently have a Laguna 2, coming up to 5 years old, so been looking at a replacement Laguna. Ttraipsing round the dealers for various models were advised that if going for the diesel version to consider the dci130bhp. better economy, better pulling. Price on road for comparison, MRRP UK £18300. before you try to screw a discount out of them. If you go for the dci 130bhp as a sport tourer (estate) then the MRRP is £18650.

We have been pleased with ours(1.8 petrol), excellent for long distance (32-35mpg), but over the last 18months, have had problems with aircon, the brakes discs all had to be replaced (cars only done 48K) and now at almost 5 years old is due for cambelt, MOT again, and service and the local dealer is wanting the best part of £820 for all the work. The car is only worth £3600, so if keeping the car for a longer period take into acccount the depreciation values and some of the following price guidelines (all UK). Have also had problems with the tyre sensors but they were reset free of charge first time, included in the service the 2nd time, and £25 to reset when they went the third. Replacing tyres to the original Michelins (15K front-23K rear) was £130 a corner, Pirelli's for similar mileage were £105. Now running on Kumho's @ £80 a corner and handling, performance and wear just as good. Renault parts tend to be expensive. Another example. Drivers door mirror cracked. Renault (£25.67) Halfords replacement (£8.99-£16.99) depending on which type you wanted.

You'll be happy with the car, as we are, but the costs sometimes creep up on you. Would be worth trying to include potential future costs in your estimates before purchase.

Aitch

Archived