Complete France Forum

Buying a property

We have today learnt of a property in Normandy which we saw at Easter coming on the market for €15,000.  It is in need of masses of work but is located within easy reach of a very pretty village with all basic services.  It is quite large and has an outbuilding and good sized gardenwith lovely views.  It is in the Aude.  The price to us seems unbelievable!  It is not through an agent but would be a private sale through a charming lady we met at Easter.  Any advice please?

Two things - make sure that if it needs a Certificat d'Urbanisme (CU) for change of use or reinstating habitable use that you get this before signing anything, or have a clause suspensive written into the compromis de vente. Second - never underestimate the cost and timescale involved in a project like this.

Best of luck.

OK. 15000€ is about £10K these days. What can you get for that propertywise - not a lot so for a start its a bargain where the price is concerned. However,when you say masses of work needs doing,this is where people lose their heads to their hearts and sometimes come unstuck financially. Buying privately is not a problem as long as you realise you buy what you see and everything is done correctly through a notaire who would probably act for both parties. You really must  consider the costs involved for drainage,electricity and plumbing to probably be upgraded, remedial treatments like infestations and damp proofing and possible replacement of roof timbers which cannot be seen until a few tiles have been removed, those too may need renewing in the not so distant future. I am not trying to put you off, just passing on some of the problems you may encounter as we visit many properties like this and sometimes the costs of renovation is just not worth it. There is also the other side of the coin in that, it may with permission, be a better option to demolish the buildings and re build with a newer property which will not need maintenance like an old one,it is a thought to consider seriously as land is expensive now but building a property is not. I would suggest you get a local artisan who knows his onions to take a look at the property before you commit yourselves just in case there is something nasty lurking there and also check around the area in case there are big plans to build a motorway next to the property or put huge pylons up nearby - you just never know. No one can be more charming than a person trying to pass something on that they are stuck with. Let us know how you get on.

Just in case everybody else is getting confused at this off-topic exchange Calvados really comes from the Pays d'Auge and Normandy hasn't, as far as I know, taken a trip south overnight. Or at least, if it has, I'm not very impressed with the weather

Archived