Complete France Forum

DVLA SORN

Dog

According to DVLA all GB registered vehicles must be permanently taxed if abroad. It is not allowed to SORN them.

I find this bloomin' annoying why should I pay tax on an unused vehicle.

DVLA is only interested in making money.

If the vehicle is abroad and off the road long enough to require a SORN, the correct course of action is to complete the documentation for exporting the vehicle.

Allowing a vehicle to be SORN'd while abroad would only encourage people to SORN the vehicle, while continuing to illegally use it on foreign roads.

Yes the Certificate of Permanent Export (I've just received one) quite clearly states that that takes your vehicle off the GB system so you would not be fined.  If your car is here, you should have one, whether it's on the road or not.  It doesn't cost anything to get so why wouldn't anybody with a vehicle which is off the road have applied for one?  Hmm.

I think the point probably is, as another poster pointed out, to prevent people from driving illegally over here.  You are not being forced to tax it, but to officially export it.  If it's here - it's an export whether you use it or not.  I guess that is the logic.  A SORN requires you to state where the vehicle actually is, so if it's outside the UK there is no way that anybody can check up on it to see if it is being used illegally.  I doubt whether changing your religious beliefs would help you.

Sorry, BJSLIV, posted simultaneously!

Archived