Complete France Forum

Motorcycle oil

sid

A query for les motards...

Does anyone have any recommendations for 4T oil (for Honda VFR). In UK I used Castrol R4 but over here the most commonly stocked brand seems to be Motul. I've no idea which one of their products to use; I'd prefer a fully synthetic one.

Also, do you obtain yours by mail order, if so, where from, or can you recommend a good (meaning reasonably competitive) supplier in the Niort/Angouleme/Civray triangle?

Sid

Hi Sid,

You're in the wrong section (see motorcyling) but no problem.................[:)]

I get my oil from Moto Expert who are on the N10 at Fountaine le Compte. Next door to the Harley shop. They stock a good selection of oil and stuff. As regards Motul you probably want "7100 - 10W40" have a look here for full details. It's good quality oil.

We have a ride-out planned for next Saturday if you,re interested

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/884831/ShowPost.aspx

Regards

Gary

Gary:    Red face here! I've been on this forum for over a year and didn't even know there was a Motorcycling section! Doh! When did that start? I have a favorites link which brings me into "Living in France" area (normally I'm checking House Renovations" etc).  I can see that there's quite a bit of reading for me to do!

Thanks for the oil supplier info; I have seen the Harley place and didn't notice the place next door. I must be going blind... not noticing so many things! I was probably on the phone at the time [:D]

I don't think I can make the ride-out this weekend, but at least I'll be aware of future ones now.

Bob:    The spec Motul 7100 says 100% synthetic, but not the 5100 so I think that one will be 'semi'. They're both recommended for wet clutches, but I think I'll go for 5100 now. I never questioned the oil choice before but went with a dealer recommendation for the Castrol and I've used that for a few years now. Following your post I've had a look at various reference pages and whilst these oils all have the correct API spec it would appear that the best recommendation is, as you say, for a semi-synthetic. I've had the bike from new ('99) and it doesn't seem to have done any harm.

Thanks guys

Sid

Yes Sid, you are correct in that 7100 is synthetic and does say that it can be used for wet clutches. As it is a specific bike oil it may be differnt to car fully synthetic oil, which should not be used in a wet clutch bike.

I believe that the engine oil on the VFR also lubricates the gearbox so a bike specific oil would take this into account. With bikes with dry clutches and separate gear oil (BMW, Moto Guzzi, etc) you can use any car oil including synthetic.

Well after all the dithering about what to get I went to Moto Expert as recommended by Gary. Angouleme is nearer to me. They had Silkolene, ELF and Ipone (??). I went for the ELF, mainly on the young guy's recommendation and bought ELF HP 4 ECO which is a semi-synthetic and a little cheaper than the fully synthetic I've used in the past.

Sid

Archived