Complete France Forum

Sorry - French Driving Licence ..... again.

ali-cat

I have searched through posts regarding obtaining a French Driving Licence - but I fear, that because my query is so basic, I must be the only person struggling with this problem.

My old Northern Ireland licence is due to expire at the end of the month & I've obtained a form, from the Charente-Maritime Prefecture - but I can't make head nor tail of it.  It's the columns entitled "Numero", "Date", "Department" "Nom sous lequel le permis a été" & "Derniére visite médicale" I'm struggling with.

I know what they mean - but what do they want?  Is it my NI licence number, date issued, country, my name (?) & the last time I went to a doctor?!!!

As for the bit asking for my address at the time of obtaining the licence & my actual address ............  

I'm really sorry if you're now all rolling your eyes & shaking your heads in shame (for me!) but I'm getting close to pulling my hair out & just letting Mark do all the driving from now on.  [:(] 

Are you sure you have the correct form.  'Demande de Delivrance de Permis de Conduire.  It is a straight exchange and does not have the questions you mention - although there is a section at the bottom for your doctor to sign which I am not sure about.  It asks if you have a prosthesis (artificial limb) and also mentions eye sight, with a section for the doctor to fill in with details of your appointments.  I am going to ask my doctor what needs to be done about this. 

I think I do!!  I explained, in the office, that I now live in France & my old licence was about to expire.  The form is entitled - "Demande d'echange d'un permis de conduire etranger contre un permis de conduire Francais".  There are no form numbers etc. on it.  I've seen a link to a form, on one of the other threads - I'll download it & compare them.  I'll then fill in the easier one ......... if I can. 

This is the first form which has totally thrown me - I feel like a total Clampett!!

I recently filled in this form for my husband and have a copy here.  There isn't much to put on it apart from name  date of birth, place of birth address in France then sign and date.The rest they fill in.  I rang up to ask about the medical question and they said it was only for people with a recognised health problem. You will probably also need an attestation from your Mairie that you are resident in the commune and have been since? ( at least 6 months.)Also take your passport and a bill with your address on it and of course your NI licence. It took at least an hour to process it. Pat.ps crossed threads!Our form says"Demande de deliverance de permis de Conduire" and you tick exchange de permis etranger. P.

[quote user="Cat"]

Ali, I think the form that you have is aimed at people with a license that originates from one of the non EU countries.

Last time I looked Northern Ireland was still part of the EU [:$]

[/quote]

It must have been my stunning & exotic foreign looks that caused the initial confusion!! [Www]

Thanks everyone.  I've got the right form now & will sit with my French dictionary & try my best!!

Archived