Complete France Forum

Registering and insuring a car in France

Jennarguin22

Hiya,

I am moving to France in August. I want to purchase a car in France, drive it back to England for the summer and then move to Grenoble, France in autumn. Where do I register the car and get insurance in France? Is it possible to get both of those if I don't have a French address? Can I register it to my England address? Does anyone have any good tips for buying cars in france...preferably Calais because it's the closest!

Please help!

Thank you,

Jenn

There are many, many threads about registering cars in France on this forum. I suggest you use the search facility (top right).

As Cassis says, I think you will need a French address of some sort to register a car.

Do you mean what company do you insure it with? Again, this has been discussed, try a search.

On the other hand, Sunday Driver will be along in a minute, I have no doubt. Trawl through old threads and get as much information as you can.

Jenn

If you are still a UK resident when you buy your French car, you can't legally use it in the UK without registering it there first.  If you wait until your move to France, then you will have a French address, so you can buy the car and French register it straight away.

You have to register the car with your prefecture.  You can obtain insurance through any number of French motor insurers.  Just do the rounds and get quotes.

For used cars, try the French equivalent of [url=http://www.automarche.fr/]Autotrader[/url] or visit your local dealers in Grenoble.

Archived