Complete France Forum

Buying fuel???

Jonzjob

I read a very interesting fuel comparison article the other day (I can't remember where). The difference in quality was quite extreme and I do remember that Elf came out on top.

edit: It was in the magazine Auto Plus. I can't post it (copyright) but if anyone wants a copy, I'll PM you one.

Unfortunately where we live there is only one petrol station for four miles either way and so is very handy, however when you see uipto 15centimes/litre between the supermarket petrol and the nearest Total you do wonder about the quality. I have never had problems in 18 years of buying supermarket petrol here and have never ever bought from a major outlet,money savings speak louder I'm afraid when you are on french income.

I notice when I buy Elf diesel in France,there is little or no foaming of the fuel at the filler;I am told this is because of very high levels of anti-foam addititive.Personally I would like some foam and more diesel.

The only argument I can see is that some of the lead alternatives they have used in fuel may be there in differeing quantities based on brand. After the Tesco / Morrison problems from own brand fuel in the UK there is almost and argument for always buying the same brand. I certainly would not worry about just using suipermarket fuel.

Archived