Complete France Forum

Tyre Life

Bikboks

I find that the life of my car tyres in France is less than half that of what I was used to in the UK. After 50 years of driving, and a very considerable number of miles covered, my driving style is still the same so I can be discounted as a cause.

I live in SW France, department 82.

Is it the quality of the roads? The frequent bends due to the winding nature of the roads where I live? - it is very hilly.  A poorer quality of tyre here? The rough nature of the surface of the drive at my house?

Even more puzzling is that most of my latter cars were front wheel drive, and one expects the front tyres to last a shorter time than the rear ones.  Not in my experience here, the rear tyres need to be replaced more frequently. My last set of rear tyres here lasted 10,906 miles (Pirelli), my general experience in the UK for rear tyres was 30/35,000 miles (Pirelli).

Apart from a shorter life, the tyres cost considerably more here thus compounding the expense.

Does anyone else have similar experience to mine apropos tyres?

Any of the French tyre shop specials have a very short life. Done about 75,000 miles in France and find tyre life similar to UK.

Peugeot 306 HDI - do not brake much except for ageing French who have still believe Priority A Droit exists everywhere - otherwise drive as fast as you can and hold onto a clean license. 

Rear tyre life 50,000 plus -- sidewalls normally go before treads. Fronts between 40,000 to 45,000. Trashed two during last visit to UK pot holes in run offs to laybys with holes the size of foot balls. 

For Michelin from Citreon and Peugeot dealers you will find price is very negotiable. As many of them buy in during three for four promos.

Allegedley most tyre outfits will only fit tyres in pairs on supposed "safety" grounds, a debatable stance IMHO. Anyone experienced this first hand. I wonder if they will they fit new tyres provided by the customer ?

If they will and if tyres are really so much more expensive in France then it might be worth picking up a set when in UK for local fitting when required. Better still perhaps, visit a scrappie in UK and get a spare set of wheels, get some tyres fitted and you're ahead of the game when the time comes [;-)]

I think how long the tyres will last also depends on the road conditions.

We live in a remote-ish area and the drive to the nearest large towns involve negotiating some rather twisty roads, so the tyre walls get more wear than if we were driving mainly on motorways or dual carriageways.

We've recently changed all 4 tyres from Continental to Michelin Energy, which are supposed to last longer... we'll see...

Archived