Complete France Forum

Speed limits

allanb

A separate thread on speeding fines raised the question of what the speed limits actually are in France, without coming to any definite conclusion.

I think the true answer is that the speed limit is whatever the signs say it is, except that there are some defaults, i.e. limits that do not need to be signposted (although sometimes they are); they apply everywhere unless there is a different posted limit.  To the best of my knowledge there are only four of these:

130 kph on motorways;

50 kph in a town or village marked by a rectangular name sign with a red line around it;

80 kph on the Paris périphérique;

90 kph everywhere else.

There are also 2 temporary reductions that are not necessarily signposted:

- in rain, snow, etc: 130 is reduced to 110; any signposted 110 limit is reduced to 100; the general 90 limit is reduced to 80.

- if visibility is less than 50m: all limits are reduced to 50 kph.

The last one might be especially difficult to prove or disprove, but I think that's what the highway code says.

Have I missed any?

Just to re-arrange those a bit....[;-)]

There are four national categories of speed limit:

- 90khp is the national speed limit for all roads, except for those indicated below:

- 130kph for autoroutes

- 110kph for urban autoroutes and non-autoroute dual carriageways

- 50kph for built up areas, except where indicated to the contrary.

There is an interim 70kph which is used in conditions where the 90kph is considered to be too high (eg, dangerous crossroads).  In this case, the later black and white 70 with diagonal stripe sign cancels the short term 70kph limit and the road reverts to the national limit again. 

The 70kph limit may also be applied in built up areas where the 50kph is considered to be too low, but only where pedestrian and resident vehicular access to the road in question is restricted. If the 70kph limit later reverts to a 50kph, then a  "50" sign is displayed. 

The Paris peripherique is a special case and is not replicated elsewhere in France.

Changes in fixed speed limits are always associated with a sign.

For example, the town sign signifies the end of the current limit and the start of the 50kph limit.  The end of town sign signifies the end of the 50kph limit. The limit then reverts to the national limit for that type of road (typically 90kph) unless it is contra-signed by a 70kph for a specific distance if the conditions warrant it. Again the 70 cancellation sign reverts the road to the national speed limit. 

Apart from the above mentioned unsigned exceptional reductions due to rain/snow/visibility, the code de la route also refers to speed reductions  for newly qualified drivers, and for those vehicles fitted with snow chains/crampons.

Vehicles with a PTAC greater than 3,500kg (HGVs) and buses/coaches are also subject to reduced speed limits, but they carry their own speed limit signs stuck on the back...[:D]

Archived