Complete France Forum

It's Silly Season on the Roads

Bugsy

Having been driving in England and France regularly for the past few years, as soon as I reach the motorways in England, I find drivers deliberately taking risks to get in front of you.  Whereas the worst drivers here don't appear to be trying to get one over on you, they are just in a hurry or not as the case may be.  I find many drivers in England going ridiculously fast on the motorways and menacingly tailgating you if you are not doing 100mph + like them in their flash cars in the outside lane.  Many being equiped with the technology for speed traps and they know when to slow down. You see them in your mirror winding from inside to outside lanes, never indicating, like they were on some video game.  I am sure many do not know the difference. .

Georgina

PS I am not a slow driver either

One thing you have to accept is that the Fench drive like this and they do sit on your bumper, they are waiting to pass.  Unlike in the UK where most people will do their darndest to make onvertaking difficult and close a gap if somebody is passing them, the French normally slow to let people overtake and then leave a gap in case the overtaker has to move back, the French don't have the same English macho thing about being passed, they just assume that the other person is in a hurry[kiss].

"Overtaking on double-whites" Gary? . If double white lines are  being painted on roads in France, it must confuse the French as the norm is a single white line.  OK I know what you meant , and that is a surprise because that is something I have never seen a French driver do.

They seem to be different here Ron. If they are sat on your tail that's where they tend to stay. No thought of going past at all. We followed a truck earlier todayy with a car about a car's lenght behind it. Loads of oppertunities to pass, but no attempt. That is the norm! If they are going to pass they will sit when it's clear and go when it gets exciting, like a bend or a vehicle coming towards you.. No malice in it, just basic bad driving. Same as indicating. I was behind a police car on a roundabout. Turning left, no signals, in the right hand lane all the way round. What the hell chance has anyone else when the nick nicks do it? They are taught correctle, it's in the Code Roussau (sorry, spelling), but as soon as the test is out of the way the book goes too.

Prioritie a droite [:-))]???????????

Archived