Complete France Forum

Insurance for UK built caravan

P

Did not want to bomb the thread where this was posted:

The door on the "wrong side " seemed to matter when I tried to insure mine .....please post the name of a French insurance company who will cover your UK van ..lots of caravan owners would love to know one ......My  house insureres are one of the biggest not just in France but all over Europe and they would not cover my UK made van ..."door on wrong side " they said .....I dont think French companies want to know about UK vans  and the "wrong side door " is their get out .

We are contemplating trying to register a UK van in the future.

For those of you who have been successful have you obtained insurance - or is it a case of selling the UK van and buying one in France.

Paul 

Your UK van will have to pass a type approval inspection before it can be registered in France.  The position of the side access door has no relevance for caravan type approval.  Once you have registered it and have your carte grise, then it fully complies with French construction and use regulations and can be insured here the same as any French van.. 

The only implication for it's foreign origin is the absence of a French importer and dealer network which may involve difficulty/extra cost in sourcing certain parts for repair - which may well be reflected in the premium.

Thanks SD. My posting was because someone else had posted the quote that I included. I was therefore interested if anyone else had problems insuring a UK van. If it was going to be a problem wondering if it is worthwhile registering it.

Take your point about extra cost due to extra cost in obtaining spares (would need to be sourced from a UK dealer). However, we are happy with the van and, taking into account the depreciation / dealers profit margin, there would be a financial loss in selling and buying a French van.

Archived