Complete France Forum

Registering a Trailer in France

AnOther

I believe that the DRIRE have a web page which shows the neccessary features for registering a trailer in France, can anybody point me to it please ?

I have obtained COC's for the axles and hitch etc. but I believe there are some specific lighting requirements, and possibly other items, which need addressing before presenting it for test.

EDIT

Verbatim copy of covering letter from the manufacturer.

Anybody know what "Cycle Guards" are and do I really need them. Similar trailers I have seen in France had plain mudguards as has mine.

Registration of a trailer imported into France from another EU country.

In France, trailers over 500kg PTAC need their own carte grise (registration document).  Trailers over 750kg PTAC need their own insurance certificate.  (PTAC = total capacity weight).

1.  Phone local DRIRE (located in prefecture town – number to be found in phone book, internet site or local prefecture).  They will send you the necessary dossier (forms etc) to complete depending upon whether the trailer is a listed make in France or not.   If it is a make which is manufactured and /or retailed in France, a certificate of conformity in French can be obtained (for a fee) from the manufacturer. If not, it has to be inspected by the DRIRE, process as follows:

2.  On receipt of the form, complete first page only (name, address, make, serial no) and take it to the Prefecture along with:

Proof of ID (passport)

Proof of domicile (EDF bill for example)

Bill of sale (NB for trailers, a “quittance fiscal” from Hotel des Impots is not needed

All paperwork available about the trailer, technical specifications, brochure, anything          descriptive

Photographs, showing in particular axel, plates, hitch, brake

3.  At the back of the dossier (and also to be found on the DRIRE webpage’s) will be a diagram of a trailer with all the required features annotated/ specified.  The features not required in the UK and therefore having to be added/changed before presenting to the DRIRE were:

Anti-cycle guards both sides, in front of wheels

Fog light position to be located on left hand side, not right hand side

White/ Red positional lights to be located on the mudguard

Plaque giving weight and size to be located on right hand side (set format- kits available eg from trailer outlets)

4.  Once form completed, documents assembled, modifications made to trailer and photos taken, take two photocopies (to be safe) of everything.  Armed with the documentation, visit the Prefecture who will give you a form to complete there, essentially a registration request form, which they will then stamp, and give a reference number.  You then take or post to the DRIRE.

5.  Within 10 days a letter will be received from the DRIRE telling you to report to their test centre the DEKRA (control technique centre) with the trailer and a cheque for 86,90 euros.

Assuming all in order (if it is not, the inspector will say what needs to be done), the DRIRE’s report will be sent directly to the Prefecture ready for carte grise collection.

6.  Phone Prefecture, allow 2-3 working days, quoting DRIRE reference number on their call up letter to check that report has been received and sensibly, what documents to take along:

Proof of ID

Proof of domicile (EDF bill)

DRIRE call up letter

Cheque book (fee for carte grise in our case was 45 euros)

7.  Within 24 hours, obtain and fit to trailer number plates showing the resultant unique registration number on carte grise (nb must be riveted by law in France).  Cost of number plate kit, 11 euros.

8.  Visit insurance company to arrange immediate insurance cover, armed with new carte grise, driving licence, towing vehicle insurance certificate.  Annual premium was 74.14 euros for our Wessex 2600kg PTAC trailer.

Time taken….3 weeks

Total cost….. 225 euros approx

Ernie

Provided you've got the CoCs for the really critical bits - axles, brakes and hitch, then you're virtually home and dry.

Forget all that stuff about going to your prefecture first and getting them to sort out your DRIRE appointment - it's not necessary.  The simplest way of doing this is to pop into your local DRIRE and chat to the technical guys.  Show them the paperwork you have, and some photos of the trailer.  If they see you've done your homework, then they're usually very helpful and they'll tell you if you're missing anything.  You can also arrange an appointment for the test there and then.

After the inspection, the DRIRE will issue your process-verbal de titre isolé (SVA certificate), which you can then take to the prefecture with the rest of the paperwork and register it.

ErnieY you've started something that I also need to embark on so can I pick your brain? My trailer is a privately built job, 2 tonne capacity with double axle indespension and a Bradley Doublelock stored energy braking system, if you happen to have dealt with either of these companies I'd be grateful for any contact details if you have them, cheers

Archived