Complete France Forum

another CT question

opas

I had an English neighbour who sold his house and a car to another English man (both trasnactions took place last August ). the new guy hasn't done any of the paperwork involved in the car sale, ie that the carte gris is still in the orriginal owners name, the forms are all there filled in in part by the "former" owner,(the house is a holiday home and he has only been for one short stay...no excuse i know!) I check the post box on this house and send the mail to the respective new or old owners.

last week when I looked in the box there was a letter, which must have been there for some weeks(I only go once a month or so) from the Control Technic place .I contacted the new owner , as I recognised the logo and knew what would be in there, the CT runs out on Saturday.

This man has asked if I would take the car to the station for the test (I am still thinking about this as I assume that he has not insured the car either!)  If this CT expires , I understand that the car will later be on the road illegaly, but what would be the procedure to get it through the CT,

1) will he need another form before the car can be CT'd

2) the orriginal owner has written across the carte gris(vendu and the date, and crossed it.....in a very unproffessional manner) and I fear this will give a multitude of problems with the fonctionaires! or am I being dramatic?

I feel like washing my hands of the situation, but my gut instict tells me I should help someone who knows even less than me[Www]

[quote user="opas"]The new guy hasn't done any of the paperwork involved in the car sale, ie that the carte gris is still in the orriginal owners name, the forms are all there filled in in part by the "former" owner,(the house is a holiday home and he has only been for one short stay...no excuse i know!) 

the CT runs out on Saturday.

This man has asked if I would take the car to the station for the test (I am still thinking about this as I assume that he has not insured the car either!)

[/quote]

If it is not insured (easy enough to check via the green slip on the windscreen - or did the vendor forget to remove his old one?) then I presume that this on its own would be enough to put you off - it would put me off....

In any case, when a car is sold in France, the vendor is supposed to ensure that it has a CT not less than 6 months old - although IIRC it is up to the purchaser to enforce this. Has the purchaser really left the car for 18 months or did the vendor not fulfil his duty?

[quote user="opas"]

If this CT expires , I understand that the car will later be on the road illegaly, but what would be the procedure to get it through the CT,

[/quote]

If the car were to be taken directly to a CT station then the purchaser might be able to talk his way out of trouble with a generous Gendarme (if they exist) if he were to be stopped - otherwise I suspect it really neads to be trailered there.

[quote user="opas"]

1) will he need another form before the car can be CT'd

[/quote]

Don't you normally need a valid CG before you get it CT'd?

[quote user="opas"]

2) the orriginal owner has written across the carte gris(vendu and the date, and crossed it.....in a very unproffessional manner) and I fear this will give a multitude of problems with the fonctionaires! or am I being dramatic?

I feel like washing my hands of the situation, but my gut instict tells me I should help someone who knows even less than me[Www]

[/quote]

Offer to get the car recovered to a CT testing station ASAP (and probably trailered back as well), and then get him to get the CG and associated paperwork to the Prefecture asap. It's the best you can do without exposing yourself to problems if you are stopped.

Pickles

I agree with Bob, leave it well alone.  An insurance sticker on the windscreen is no guarentee that the car is insured,  it has to have the signed paperwork to back it up.  So look at like this, if the new owner has not bothered to have it Ct'd or registered it his name or got it insured as he would have to have shown his driving license to the insurance company in France, how are you going to explain that you are driving an uninsured car that has no CT or current carte grise if you are stopped or have an accident whilst doing what the lazy buggar should have done for himself? Why put your license and insurance at risk? 

Opas, firmly in the leave well alone camp for the reasons that have been stated. And ignorance is no excuse for him - it is quite easy to find forums like this one where he could have easily found out what he needed to do.

If you do drive the car and something goes wrong who will he blame?

Paul

thanks all.

Firstly , the car was "sold" to the new owner with at least 6 months CT on it, so the former keeper did his bit, he also filled in his bits on the transfer forms. At that stage I was approached by the "new " owner of house and car if I would help him out with the paperwork.......well yes I would have done that without question, but as I mentioned earlier he has only visited his new property once and he was "too busy" because they are "busy people"[blink]

I have done as much now as I am prepared to do, the guy hasn't emailed or phoned me back since I informed him of his predicament, he could possibly have sorted out some insurance for this car with a bit of paperwork via fax and our helfull broker at this end....but as has been said.....too lazy is a better term than too busy!

He will now have an expensive learning curve into French paperwork, as I can immagine the reaction at the CT station if and when he turns up there with his car!

Right enough said , I'm off to work.

[quote user="opas"]Firstly , the car was "sold" to the new owner with at least 6 months CT on it, so the former keeper did his bit,[/quote]

Errr ...sorry, but unless I am much mistaken, I'm afraid that the former keeper did not do his bit. The date of the CT proces-verbal must not be more than 6 months before the date of sale of the car. It should therefore have been sold with at least 18 months' CT left.

[quote user="opas"] he also filled in his bits on the transfer forms. At that stage I was approached by the "new " owner of house and car if I would help him out with the paperwork.......well yes I would have done that without question, but as I mentioned earlier he has only visited his new property once and he was "too busy" because they are "busy people"[blink]

I have done as much now as I am prepared to do, the guy hasn't emailed or phoned me back since I informed him of his predicament, he could possibly have sorted out some insurance for this car with a bit of paperwork via fax and our helfull broker at this end....but as has been said.....too lazy is a better term than too busy![/quote]

In view of the above, keeping out seems the best option. Some people just won't be helped, I'm afraid. You've tried your best...

Pickles

Keep well out of it, these things have a nasty habit of getting the innocent party into bother and the "guilty" just go and continue to be oblivious of the rules and regs. Let him learn for himself or he will never leave you alone.

Comes with experience I"m afraid. I even had the ANPE ringing me asking to explain things to english folk in their offices  who couldn't understand any french and wanted top management jobs here because they thought everyone spoke english.  We all had to find things out before the internet and suchlike off our own backs and it does your credibility good with the local bureaucrats.

Archived