Complete France Forum

Driving licence renewal

sid

Driving licences have been discussed before and I've searched the previous threads without finding the answer to my query.

In 1998, still living in UK, I was invited by DVLA to apply for a photo licence, which I duly obtained. I think it was part of a phased introduction to see how the application process would work in practice. I hadn't noticed before but this licence expires in 2008 (10 years after issue) and not on my 70th birthday (which my old licence showed). The paper counterpart, whilst not showing an expiry date, does show that my provisional entitlement continues to my 70th birthday.

I presume that it's going to prove impossible to obtain a replacement UK photo licence next year because the address shown is my old UK address and I'm now permanently resident in France? I suppose I could submit a change of address and give my son's address for example, but is this legal? Does this mean I'll have to obtain a French licence, and will I have problems, given the reluctance of French offices to issue licences unless a driving offence has taken place?

Sid

The DVLA will not, as you said, put a foreign address on your UK licence. They will, however, register the fact that you live in France. On that basis it would be reasonable to assume that they would send your replacement to your current address.

I could be wrong of course..............................[:D][:D]

ps. Windows now finished, Haymaking nearly finished, next Ride-out looming............................[;-)]

Yes, I don't mind changing to a French licence, but I've read several times that the authorities don't want to exchange your licence unless it's as a result of a police request, eg for points to be deducted after an offence.

Sid

UK photocard licences are issued for a maximum of ten years to ensure that photographs are kept up to date with the true likeness of the licence holder.

The prefectures are generally reluctant to process unnecessary change requests where there is no legal reason to change, ie just the personal preference of the licence holder to have a French licence,but if your licence is about to expire, then they cannot refuse.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

UK photocard licences are issued for a maximum of ten years to ensure that photographs are kept up to date with the true likeness of the licence holder.

The prefectures are generally reluctant to process unnecessary change requests where there is no legal reason to change, ie just the personal preference of the licence holder to have a French licence,but if your licence is about to expire, then they cannot refuse.

[/quote]

I have done a bit of research on SD's points stated above and it looks like 2008 will be a bumper year for UK licences to expire. As he has said you cannot legally exchange for a new UK licence unless you are perminently resident in the UK. It will be interesting to see how the various prefectures act on this large amount of requests for French licences.

Of course, I wasn't thinking about anyone else needing to renew their licences! [8-|]

How can I jump the queue? Would a carte de sejour help? It seems to be indispensable for other things! [Www] Don't bother, that was a joke!

Sid

Archived