Complete France Forum

Removal companies

Megan le Fey

We expect to be moving from North of Dordogne to La Vendee (a couple of hundred kms) at the end of August.  My husband doesn't drive anymore and I really don't feel up to hiring a truck and driving our furniture and stuff, as well as the loading and unloading so we are going to have to skip the DIY thing and get someone to do it for us.  The  nearest local company to us charged us about 450 euros to move us 12 kms a couple of years ago (it only took a couple of hours) and we have been quoted 900 pounds to move the same stuff from here to Exeter by a UK company on a return load.  The two figures don't seem to compare very well.  Perhaps we are a bit out of touch.  I would be really grateful for any advice and/or recommendations from anyone.  I thought of selling the whole blinking lot on eBay or even the  taking it all to the [:P] dechetterie but it all involves transport.

Thank you very much, in anticipation[:D].

Anne, as no-one has replied here is my 5 penneth. I think those prices you quoted are very reasonable. I have a friend who has a removal company in Spain and he charges (typically) around £3000.00 for a full-house removal from the UK to Spain. Running large trucks with driver and mate are expensive operations.

What about UK friends or relatives to help in return for a 'free' holiday ?

If you were nearer to me I would offer to help, but good luck with it anyway.

Gary.

Thank you Gary for your reply, it helped to put it into perspective for me.  When we return to UK (we've postponed it for a year) we hope that the 900,00 pounds quotation we had will still be available, or at least only marginally increased, as we had other quotes for up to 3500,00 pounds plus insurance, a hell of a range.  As it is we have accepted a quote of just under €1400 for the  upcoming 200 km move to La Vendée, not too bad and a hundred or so reduction is hardly worth the time and the stress of shopping around[:D].

Anne

We found this company to be helpful, reliable, efficient and reasonable when we moved out nearly 2 years ago. They regularly do runs from the UK, through France down to Spain and back to the UK; so worth a look perhaps at their website

Doing a search as well might be a good idea as I am sure someone else on here mentioned another company only recently which they had used and been pleased with.

Sue

Archived