Complete France Forum

Converting headlamps for driving on the right

Will

I saw this on another forum:

http://normandy.angloinfo.com/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=18918

I am linking direct so as not to infringe any inellectual property rights (having had my own postings here copied without acknowledgement in the past) - so there will no doubt be subsequent replies posted and, knowing that forum, the whole thing may be removed. I am rather sceptical about it myself, but it might just work.

For reference, the original post reads:

ellbee writes: 
Posted: 08/07/2007 at 16:03

I recently converted my Uk registered RHD SAAB headlamps to LHD dip and would like to pass it on to others who have been told they need to buy new headlamps to pass the French Controle technique, often at great expense. I would point out that I am using H4 bulbs and so cannot say whether it will work on all bulbs but it may be worth a try. no great technical knowledge is required,if you can change a headlight bulb then you can convert the bulb to dip correctly. the method is remove the bulb and snip off the three lugs on the bulb (taking care not to touch the bulb glass) the top lug would have been the 12-o-clock position, working at the back of the headlamp reposition the bulb into the 11-o-clock position and secure the locking clip and thats it,repeat the process on the other headlamp, check headlamps on dip to ensure they are both aligned correctly and thats then completed the task, I did mine in 15 minutes submitted the car for CT test and passed (and my CT testing station is very pedantic regarding even the most trivial of faults) I now keep a spare set of bulbs for when I return to the UK and can swop them over in minutes as required.I must stress I cannot be held responsible if this does not work for others I merely am trying to be helpful, but its worth a try as replacement bulbs are cheap and it may save you money

Archived