Complete France Forum

trailers ????

terry1956

Hi all, I need a bit of input on the following, I am looking at using a trailer behind my motorhome to put the scooter and a few odds in, at the moment I use a bike trailer, but want to step up a bit to a small box type, Now I know that braked trailers or ones over 500kg need to have their own paperwork, reg number etc, and that this is a pain to get, I hate red tape and just don,t have the time to fool around with it.

French made trailers of the type I want are very expensive around 3 to 4 times higher then Uk prices, So this is the question, Can I get away with using a UK trailer behind my french motorhome, I don,t live in france full time,

Whats your view on this before I try my poor french out on the local police.

thanks michael 

Have a look at Ifor Williams prices. They sell in France. If your French motor home is French register then it depends on which side of whose bed the gendarmes got out this morning. In general UK registered anything breaking the French law can really get their goat. UK registered towing vechile and UK trailer not worth the hassle. As soon as you have as you have a French registered car they know they can collect the fines. 

Thanks for getting back, I had an idea that would be the case, nowever I tow my bayliner to the sea with n/p. and that runs on the french cars regt number, the police when checking have just walked off when they see that I am english and that I take the boat back to the uk at the end of the season. As stated it depends what side of the bed they get out off.

But french red tape is a bit much at times, when it comes to cars and things. I think it helps to keep the prices high, as it cuts down on grey imports etc.

michael 

Archived